Multimeter/Ammeter

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone suggest a decent priced multimeter/ammeter to test the charging system on a marine engine. I have a multimeter now, but it does not test AMPs and I seem to recall a need for this.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Multimeter/Ammeter

Home Depot, Radio Shackc, to mention a couple have very reasonable multimeters which include the amp feature you speak of.

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice

most cheap ones dont read very high amps i dont think, only up to like 5

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Clamp-on ammeters are handy. You will see them when you start looking. They have jaws that slip over the wire and read amps. They read A/C, but will read D/c volts, as well.. Also have all the other functions, too..

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I found some pretty decent/inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight, they have stores all over the country or you can check them out online. I don't think they are very high quality, but for occasional use it is probably just fine. I picked up a clamp-on AC/DC and AMPs for $9.99 on sale in their store (normally $17.99). I'll let you know how well it does since I will be using it this weekend.<br /><br />To look at the multimeters go to their website and do a keyword search for multimeter.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard