Help. smoking when trying to start

Lukiebs

Seaman Apprentice
Motor has been sitting for a few months and when i went to kick it over the is no spark. But did notice a puff of smoke and crackling from the bolt/nut in the pic.
Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• photo216606.jpg
    photo216606.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral
The engine wont spark until the rpms get high enough and if your starter isnt operating properly it wont get to that speed. Is that bolt shorting out the +ve wire of the starter?

Lukiebs

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

its arcing at the top nut in this pic. Should i take apart and sand or clean the connection point?

Attachments

• photo216617.jpg
    photo216617.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I cant quite see it, but if the insulating washers etc wear or the plastic bushings get carbon tracking through the little cracks in them then the high voltage will travel from the t ve bolt/nut there and short to the cover base of the starter which is neg/ground

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You should take apart and inspect,
thats the connection to take apart

Last edited:

Lukiebs

Seaman Apprentice
Look like I'm missing the lock washer. Is this plastic or metal?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, Smoke in that area could be electrical wires burning. That comes from resistance. Clean up all the connectors. Inspect the wiring insulation for breaks and bare wires.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Heat & smoke at electrical wires or connections are caused by high resistance (loose or corroded connections) or wires that are partly corroded away, or unusually high currents. In this case, probably one of the first two.