Johnson charging problem

Pursuit2550

Seaman
I have a 98 Johnson 200. The other day I was looking at my volt meter and it went up to 16 volts. I went and got a digital volt meter to confirm and it was charging 16 volts at higher rpms. At idle it was at 14 volts. Today I started checking the stator and reg/rec for problems. Did all the bench tests CDI Electronics mentions to do fro the reg/rec. I also did all the engine running test they mention for the stator and reg/rec. All checked out just fine. I put everything back and try to duplicate the problem again and it would go pass 14.20-14.30 volts. I shut the engine off and tilted it up and down to put a little drain on the batt and then turned it on again. The volts went up to around 15-15.20 and then settled down to 14v. I switched over to my other batt and started it up again. I couldnt get it to go above 14 volts. Switched back to the other batt and still stayed at 14 volts. No matterif I tilted the engine up or down, reved it up, nothing, I couldnt get it pass 14 volts. What can be happening? Can the reg/rec be going out?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Others will chime in, but it sounds like your regulator is doing it's job which is to regulate the charging; if it ain't broke don't fix it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What's wrong with 14 +/- volts? Put that meter on your car, and you'll get similar readings. Now the intermittent 16V, I can't explain, assuming you do have a regulated system.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it's working okay to me as long as it stays around 14 volts or plus a volt or so.

Pursuit2550

Seaman
Yes my charging system is regulated via a regulator/rectifier unit. According to CDI Electronics a stator charging system is to maintain batteries not to charge then like a alternator. They also state the a stator system should only put out a max of 14-14.40 volts, not 16 volts. I called them today but they were closed due to bad weather. Will try them tomorrow and see what they say. I also have the OEM manual coming so I can check there what max charging should be, but according to every thing I have read 16 volts is to much for a stator system and will make my batteries acid boil.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well, I certainly won't dispute CDI. But I will say that the unregulated systems all put out in the 16V range, and it isn't the best situation. But it's worked that way for over 40 years. HOWEVER, yours is a regulated system so it is a different situation. You will have to ask them why you are reading 16V one time and 14V another time....assuming the battery is fully charged both times.

At least we all agree that about 14V is normal, (and that includes your car). I say Volts is Volts, whether it be "stator", "alternator", or windmill.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
One thing to remember is, if you have dirty or corroded connections in the system that can also make your voltage go up.

rothfm

Ensign
I had a similar situation when my Rec/Reg was doing some weird things. It was on a 115 and began intermittently. Between my fish finder and the volt meter, I had begun noticing it would go to 16volts at times, maybe a tad higher. Then back to normal. No rhyme to reason.

Like others suggested, I completely went thru all wiring, Cleaning, tightening (all motors could use this anyway). I monitored this awhile, then it changed, and began dropping to 0v briefly then jumping to 16+, and back to zero. When I could meter it, always seemed to check out with ohm meter.

Put in another used Rec/Reg and immediately fixed the issue.

If wiring is clean/tight....and you again, notice prolonged periods up at 16 - you may want to think about swapping it out.