No spark on one cylinder.

Buzzellsc

Cadet
I have no spark on one cylinder. Both cylinders have good compression. I have a new Spark plug, new plug wire, new power pack, and new coil. I have it down to stator or trigger.

I have Ohm tested them both being:

stator: (wires from stator)
Brown to brown/yellow is suppose to be 450-550
orange to orange/brown is suppose to be 450-550

Trigger: (wires from trigger)
Brown to Brown/Yellow 791 ohms
Orange to Orange/brown 402 Ohms

I also tested the Rectifier with diode function Red Lead to Red, Black Lead to yellow and yellow/grey and got nothing. Then Red Lead to Red, Black lead to yellow and got 496. and then Black Lead to yellow/grey and got 492

Its a 2000 Johnson 50. The battery also dies every time I use it -_-

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe there is one coil to charge the capacitor and one sensor coil.---Those single items fire both cylinders.

Buzzellsc

Cadet
How do I test those? It took me about two weeks to figure all of that out. Im still learning

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If those 2 items can fire one cylinder why are they not firing the other cylinder ?----Good trouble shooting / thinking is required.

Buzzellsc

Cadet
Woooopsssss

trigger:

(Red) to (Black)

Wires coming from trigger:
Green to white 28 ohms
White to green 28 ohms
no other readings

Wires from Motor
Green to Blue 239
White to Blue 127
White to Green 127
Stator:
Brown to Brown/Yellow 791 ohms
Orange to Orange/brown 402 Ohm

Those are the correct readings!!! sorry for the confusion!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
yep looks like the stators got an issue, unusual for it to be affecting just one cylinder but not unheard of.
Have you peak voltage measured it?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
not sure how to do that
hook it all back up and stick your multimeter prong into the connector from the trigger while its hooked up. Stick the other to a ground.
You need a dva to get peak voltage but just compare the two outputs with a standard multimeter if thats all you have, if they arent relatively even somethings up.

Buzzellsc

Cadet
The trigger had indents from when someone previously tried to take the flywheel off I'm assuming. Would that be an issue?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
The trigger had indents from when someone previously tried to take the flywheel off I'm assuming. Would that be an issue?

Depends how big the indents are, it looked quite off from memory.
Did you do any of the voltage tests recommended?
Have you swapped the good coil over?
You could swap the trigger inputs over and see if that changes the cylinder which sparks but whatever you do dont have the spark plugs in the cylinder when you do that

Buzzellsc

Cadet
I can't get a voltage reading for some reason. I swapped the plug wires to make sure we're both working and the plugs. They all work. It's just the top cylinder. How do I sawo the coils and trigger wires. Last time I did something without knowing it backfired and was smoking ha. Never doing that again.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
just swap the trigger inputs into the powerpack, push and pull them out of the rubber connectors and swap them over, if the spark moves then its the trigger that appears to be stuffed.