Running an outboard on a muff/hose in cold weather?

swedel87

Recruit
New to the forum and first time boat owner, however I have been around boats all my life this is my first boat. My question is... if the temperature is say 60 during the day and drops to 25 or 30 at night can I run my outboard (115 Evinrude 2 stroke 1977) on a hose that afternoon without worrying about the following night low Temps causing freezing issues?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The motor will self drain if all the wee drain holes inside the motor are clear..-----After you remove the muffs turn the flywheel one revolution and that makes sure that the pump is drained.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the lower unit gearcase does not have any water in the oil to freeze, expand, and bust the case.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would check the lower unit oil. Just take out the plug for a second and see if it is milky. If it is then there is a chance that the water content in the oil could cause freezing problems...That's why most folks change the oil and the end of the season for storage instead of letting her sit all winter. Fresh oil also reduces corrosion on lower unit parts

swedel87

Recruit
Thank you for the helpful information and Taking the time to post it everyone.