Johnson 115 water pump

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can I inspect the impeller on my 1973 Johnson 115 without replacing any gaskets I have looked through the book and I am still unclear if you can inspect without breaking any seals. Also is anyone familiar with the correct water pump kit for this engine I'm thinking anything pre-1978 but would appreciate a more seasoned perspective and possibly a part number.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Inspecting an impeller in not good idea.---Replacing the impeller is a good idea.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with racerone, If you are going to go through all the trouble to inspect the impellor, just change it and forget about it. I would replace the entire assembly though seeing the year of it and not knowing the last time somebody did replace it.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
bobsquatch ,i agree with above. the part # are 777212 impeller $37.63 , kit 385993 .if im not mistaken there is just 3 orings and a rubber bushing. sometimes u can find cheaper on ebay. good luck :joyous:

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The price is fine but I am hoping to get out on the water this weekend I guess I will check my local shop to see if they have one in stock

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am having a lot of difficulty confirming part numbers for my 1973 115hp johnson pump. I think anything pre 1978 will work but I need a way to confirm part numbers both omc and aftermarket. tblshur, where did your numbers come from. I can find the impeller but the kit 385993 is eluding me. On this site I found what apperars to be the correct impellers 18-3043 sierra and 9-45203 mallory but no luck finding a kit. Any preference between manufacturers? My concern is if I just get an impeller and tear it down to replace it I may not be able to reassemble it with existing components and I will be down. Is anyone familiar with this motor? Are my concerns justified or are the seals and such pretty robust?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???------No parts will be needed to do an inspection of the pump impeller !!

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
google, johnson 115 water pump kit good luck.:joyous:

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well friends, what I finally did was order an impeller from Amazon it will be here tomorrow and I also got an impeller and wear plate for my 1971 fisherman six horse which already arrived and I have in my hand. When I drop my lower unit this week if it is only an impeller job great and if not I will order what I need at that point. I got a ton of work done this weekend and everything is pointing towards a great weekend five days from now. It is supposed to be 90? here next Sunday so I am looking forward to having all my chores done and enjoying my boat.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I am stuck! the 3/8 bolt that goes through the trim tab is over torqued or frozen. Outside it looks new but who knows on the thread side.anyway I used a good 6pt socket and at around 50lbs of pressure I rounded off the bolt head. Now I have cut a good clean slot in it with a dremel and have hitting it with an impact driver and it is not budging. My next effort will be heat from a propane torch. Any tips or tricks from you salty dogs?

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I finally got the lower unit dropped about an hour ago. The good news is the existing impeller is intact and complete. Even better news there is a crack or two warning that this thing is ready to disintegrate and plug up my cooling system so nice catch. Looking at you racerone. More good news is the wear plate looks good too. What looks bad is the four impeller housing bolts were snug and came out with a lot of wet goopy corrosion. My question is... Is there a standard way to clean out the holes and what should I use to coat the threads to prevent future corrosion. I have heard gasket sealer but what type? Also the four main bolts holding the lower unit on came out with a dry powdery corrosion so same question there. Thanks everyone.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Run a tap in there to clean out the corrosion products.--------Use PERMATEX aviation sealer on the threads.---Dip the bolts in this stuff.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything is tapped cleaned and ready for aviation permatex and assembly. I noticed one of the plastic water tubes was clear up over the port side water pipe and I am concerned it was not connected to the pump. Is there a standard assembly practice to guard against this? I put both tubes in the water pump and am going to assemble. Any thoughts?