2 Stroke 1975 Evinrude 115 HP 115593 E. Will Not Go In To Reverse and Will Not Start.

Zexy Irish

Recruit
Hi all, 3 days ago I was out fishing on my boat with no issues. Today I went out again but this time the motor wont start. Battery was fully charge,I had power to lift the outboard up and down, upon turning the key No click Noise apart from lifting the choke. Next Issue is Lever can go fully forward and in neutral but cannot go in reverse, its like it bottoms out in neutral.

Is this the reason why the motor wont start?

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Check throttle handle is in neutral and check fuse under cowl next to the starter solenoid. Good luck

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor must be running to shift properly.----If motor is not running the control lever should be left in the neutral position !!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Have a buddy slowly turn the prop by hand. When turning slowly, shift into reverse. Should click into gear-if it's working normally.

Zexy Irish

Recruit
Hi Guys, I checked the fuse, all good. Had a buddy rotate the prop by hand while I tried to shift in reverse, still no go. Prop moves freely.

Thanks for the input guys any other suggestions.:confused:

Cheers.:joyous:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect shift cable at the motor.---Now try and shift it at the motor.-----Drain the lower unit and report what is in there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Control must be in neutral to start. Since it seems to somehow be related to reverse, I'd suspect some malfunction within the control.

Zexy Irish

Recruit
Hi all, Thanks very much for the input troubleshooting my scenario. I ended up taking the boat into the mechanics ( Kev And Ian's Marine - Manurewa, Auckland ). The bill cost me $1000:confused: for the mechanic to do the following - Appraise Outboard, Good spark compression and gear oil. The remotes were jammed internally and due to the age and condition of them they fit a 2nd hand set with cables. Replaced corroded battery cables. Replaced starter bendix. Re tank test outboard. The outboard starts and runs well.

Parts Cost - Drive Ay 1 x $54.30 Lug Battery 35mm 6mm Hole 4 x $12.40 Cable twin core 25mm Red/Black tinned 3 x $93.90 Terminal yellow ring 8mm 1 x $1.40 Second hand 1990 Johnson remotes 1 x $350 A new battery century MP530 Marine 1 x $160.

Labour Cost - $82 Per Hour x 4 = $328.

Total - $1000.

Took the boat out yesterday launched at Mangere Bridge and cruised the Manukau Harbour for a test drive. Everything runs ok. That's the update Guys and thanks once again.
Cheers Irish.:):watermelon::lol::D:happy::laugh::laugh:

Last edited: