1980s Johnson/Evinrude Tiller Handle Help

AgTires4295

Seaman
I'm reposting this from my other thread since I was starting to derail the main topic. With these two outboards, I am not able to turn the tiller handle/accelerator anymore than maybe an inch. I know there is a bolt on the 35hp Johnson that's limiting movement but that's not a factor in the full movement of the handle. The 30hp shown in the video doesn't move at all and has nothing that I can see limiting movement. It's probably something ridiculous and I'm just overlooking a smaller detail. Any help is appreciated.

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/UukZuC5ET14

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Are you trying to turn while in forward gear? That bolt you see is for idle adjustment.

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
Like hardwater said, try turning it while in forward gear. Most outboards are designed not to go past the start position while in neutral.

AgTires4295

Seaman
Ive tried to turn it in Forward, Neutral and Reverse but cant make it work. I know it has to be in the design since both outboards are doing the same exact thing. I have an Evinrude 25 and it doesnt do this. I guess the next best thing to do is to fird it up and see what happens but now Im having spark issues. I cant get a spark to produce while cranking and Im wondering if I have bad coils or just bad spark plugs. Ill be needing to get new spark plugs anyway but is there a way to test the coils?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I cant see in your video but on the other side of the motor, under the mag plate you have a metal ring with 3 steps in it and it is connected to your shift lever in some way. In neutral you get little movement and in reverse you get a little more, and only when in forward do you have full range of movement. Shift and watch what happens and see if everything is moving as it should.

Willyclay

Captain
I watched your video because I have a 1985 Johnson 25 with a bad tiller handle. FYI, the 30HP motor in your video with the "later model push/pull cable linkage" may be a 1986 or newer motor because I have looked at trying to retrofit those parts on my motor. Post your model numbers and we can identify the exact years.

Now for my two-cents worth regarding your issue about no movement with the throttle linkage/armature plate. In the video, you are PULLING on the linkage and the idle stop screw is preventing any movement in that direction as designed. I just came back from my garage where I verified what others have posted above which is the throttle movement is very limited when in FWD or REV. However, I can tell you from personal experience that main spring on the top of the linkage is very strong and you have PUSH it pretty hard to advance the throttle. I had a difficult reattaching mine after it came loose. You might want to disconnect the tiller handle linkage and just check the linkage on the powerhead to help identify any problems. Good luck!

Last edited:

AgTires4295

Seaman
Thanks for the comments! I'll be able to get back out to the shed to look at these at some point this week. Permanent midnights, a two year old and a newborn keep my hands tied. Thanks again and I'll be posting photos of the serial numbers for identification.

Last edited:

AgTires4295

Seaman
URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/AgTires4295/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_115651_zpsissuwr3c.jpg.html]
20150208_115651_zpsissuwr3c.jpg
[/URL]

Willyclay

Captain
Permanent midnights, a two year old and a newborn keep my hands tied.

BTDT. Hang in there because it just gets better when the kids are past the hand-holding age!

Thanks for posting the model numbers. Here's what I think they are:

J35RCIG = USA-made Johnson 35HP with rope starting, standard-length (15inch) shaft, built in 1981

J30?LCDM = USA-made Johnson 30HP with long shaft (20inch), built in 1986 NOTE: The ? character is probably a "R" if it is a rope starting model.

FYI, those are essentially the same engines because of the industry's change in horsepower ratings from crankshaft to prop shaft in 1985.

AgTires4295

Seaman
BTDT. Hang in there because it just gets better when the kids are past the hand-holding age!

Thanks for posting the model numbers. Here's what I think they are:

J35RCIG = USA-made Johnson 35HP with rope starting, standard-length (15inch) shaft, built in 1981

J30?LCDM = USA-made Johnson 30HP with long shaft (20inch), built in 1986 NOTE: The ? character is probably a "R" if it is a rope starting model.

FYI, those are essentially the same engines because of the industry's change in horsepower ratings from crankshaft to prop shaft in 1985.

Thanks for the reply. It's tough now but like you said, it will get better! Thanks for the info into the engines. Glad to see theyre nearly identical! Hoping for the best!