What could have happened here? Hole in bypass cover (pic)

motodave

Seaman
83 gt150 J150STLCTE I didn't see this until a few days after removing starter. Looks like it was patched before, but I cant for the life of me figure out what would have happened. Does anyone know if I order a new cover if it will come with the nipple for recir hoses? Or do I have to press the old one out? The surprises just keep coming on this motor

motodave

Seaman
Hi boobie, so far it doesn't like to idle, but runs well when on plane. No rough spots after fuel system & carb rebuild Pretty rough idle. I've got new recir valves on the way, thanks for looking, one good thing is I guess is it's only $20. Any damage done you think?

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Do a compression test and then you will know if its being running lean too long, its smallish hole though

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You'll be able to tell more after the compression test.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
A couple of possibilities: 1. The first choke solenoid applications on the crossflow engines did not inject fuel into the top of the 3 carbs-like on your 1983. The 80 thru 82 fuel primer hoses ran down the side of the engine to a brass hose barb-on each bypass cover. Possible that you have a 1980-82 bypass cover on your engine, and that the small brass nipple is missing. 2. later crossflow engines came equipped with factory recirculation systems. This plumbed a hose between the back of the reed box area on the intake-to a brass nipple on each bypass cover. This hole exposes that cyl to the normal atmosphere, degrading the compression/suction performance of that cyl. If this is what is going on, you need to plug the hole or just replace the cover with the correct one for your year.

Last edited:

motodave

Seaman
Thanks all you guys for looking, going to replace it and have a look in there, see if theres any gremlins then start over with compression test. Thanks again!