johnson/Evinrude 9.9 carb

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Hi.
I'm working on carb that was in salty water, probably submerged.
high speed jet has salty solid wall around(betwin high speed pipe and aluminum carb body )and i cant take out this solid mes.
took out biger welsch plug and small one.
under this small one i found some salty mes but i cleaned out,
after cleaning i can see some path going down the carb, but this path is blind.
is it becouse this solid mess around high speed jet is like a wall
i borrow pictere from LeeRoy Ramblings and pointed yellow arrow which chanel

Attachments

• photo216409.jpg
    photo216409.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If in fact it has set in saltwater, then there is no doubt that the carb has to be totally disassembled and totally cleaned out. And that means every passage as well. So yes remove the welch plugs and ever little part and soak it in some serious carb cleaner for however long it take to dissolve everything that is plugging it up. Some of those passages are drilled and then factory plugged to seal them up again. So if you can't get the blue arrow plugs out, you're going to have to make absolutely sure the passages are clear via compressed air... If you can clean it up and use compressed air and able to blow air through the little passages, then it will probably work correctly again. JMHO!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
IMHO, just get a new carb. Seeing it's salt water you'll have nothing but trouble with that one.

kbait

Commander
Salvage yard link under TopSecretFile at top of this forum.. Ask for a 15hp carb for your year, and get more top end..