1971 selectric shift evinrude triumph 60 hp dose not work in forward

the boat sat since 1994i got it from my wifes grandfather before it sat he winterized it will start right up first time but will not go forward when in forward the prop spins but not in water however works fine in reverse and neutral. had it out a couple days before and worked fine just some time wants to work other time dosent
what could be causing this could it be the gear oil or wiring any help would be awsome as im new to this

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When the motor is not running it goes into forward gear.-----------Reason , there will be no oil pressure and a spring pushes the clutch dog into the forward gear.-------If there is dirt in the bore of the shift piston it may jam and not go into forward.--------The gear oil has nothing to to with it NOT going into forward !.-------When the push button for forward is pushed down there is no voltage to neutral and reverse solenoids and it goes to forward.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Agreed. if it will not go into forward, there can only be two causes:

1: There may be a voltage being applied when there shouldn't be. (Bad shift switch?)

2. The piston may be stucking in the oil pump. This is caused by fine grit in the gear oil. I'm not talking about visible chunks, but fine wear grit that turns the oil blackish. That is why it is absolutely necessary to keep the oil changed and clean. If that is the cause here, change the oil and hope for the best. If worse comes to worse, and you have to go into the lower unit, the oil pump is the last thing to come out in a teardown. Some special tools are required.

EDIT: Next time it won't go into forward, immediately turn the engine off and see if it is in neutral (spin the prop). If it is in neutral (or reverse) with the engine stopped, the piston is stuck in the oil pump. Reason: it is impossible to shift out of forward when the engine is stopped (no oil pressure).

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When the screen ( strainer ) in front of the pump breaks the pieces end up in the piston bore.-------Shift will then not operate properly.-----These electric shifts are actually very good and reliable if maintained properly.

the oil is blackish and when it would not go forward i did shut it off right away i will try changing the oil. is it ok to change the oil in the cold or do i need to wait for a warmer temp and do i need a gasket for the oil drain screw when i fill the oil back up and is it ok to fill the oil at the top oil screw

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Never fill from the top screw.---Reason---there is no way of telling when it is full.----Use only a Type -C marine gear oil or BRP-- " premium blend "--- gear oil.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Run to your friendly BRP / Evinrude dealer or even wally Mart.-------------They sell a handy pump ( mounts on the oil container ) that screws into the bottom fitting .-----You then pump to fill the unit.---Install the top plug.----Then remove the filler and install the bottom plug.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It has been stated that the machine goes into forward by pressure from a spring.-----No magic from shift solenoids or the oil pump is required to make it go into forward gear--------Lower unit full of oil or full of water does not matter unless the water is frozen !!!---As far as I am concerned the shift piston is not moving properly in it's bore.---Or the forward gear dogs and clutch dogs are worn due to lower unit neglect.

Ok i drained the gear lube oil and no metal shaving or metal in oil so im guessing i prob have a spun hub even know it spins in reverse when motor is on i can move the prop when motor is off does not lock up am i on the right track
I also went back through and checked the wires for neutral and rev and the blocking diods all working correctly no issues there at the throttle control back i also checked the throttle linkage to see if the problem lies there dosent seem to be as the throttle is working fine and motor starts with out issues and idols good
It cant be the solenoids because it goes into reverse and neutral like it should
any other ideas

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The solenoids are NOT energized to go into forward.---When the motor is stopped it should be in forward and you should not be able to turn the prop freely.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No it does not have a pin.----There are websites with parts diagrams that will show you each and every part in that lower unit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Not saying you don't have a spun hub, but it would have to be much worse than normally found if you have NO forward. The usual symptom of a spun hub is slipping at higher speeds.