1986 175 HP Johnson Flywhhel removal "Nut Size"

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just had a magnet break under the flywheel on my 1986 175 HP outboard, I need to pull the flywheel & replace and have a couple questions.

1. What size is the flywheel nut (I need to buy a socket)
2. What size bolts do I need for the pulley puller?

I assume once removed the replacement of the broken magnet is self explainable?

Thanks for any help.

Jerry

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No model # but if it is the crossflow it is 1-5/16"-------If a looper style engine it is 1-7/16"----Both types take a 5/16-NF bolt for the puller.

Last edited:

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went down to the boat and tried to remove the flywheel, the nut size ended up being 1-1/4". I inserted the 3 5-16 bolts in the pulley puller all the way into the flywheel and tried to remove it, 1 of the bolts striped out of the flywheel before coming loose.

I assume now that it needs to be drilled/tapped to the next size up before trying again, sure had a lot of pressure on it before breaking. Should I have used a lubricate on it prior to removal?

I'll add the exact model # when I go back down, I know it's a 1986 175 HP Johnson/Evinrude.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You can also heli-coil that striped thread. It will be stronger than the original.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When you had the puller well tensioned, did you give it a rap with a hammer? Usually that shock is enough to pop the flywheel loose-before one of the 3 bolts shears. Bombardier makes a flywheel magnet replacement kit. Two flavors: epoxy glue kit only- 584304 epoxy kit with replacement magnets- 584304. The kits should have basic instructions.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again for the help... All is back in order, here's the final update.

Removing the flywheel wasn't easy, after stripping one of the bolt holes Boobie suggested a heli-coil. The Heli-coil worked great, once installed I reapplied the pressure with the pulley puller & though it would strip out again. After 10 or 15 minutes of hitting the flywheel with a big rubber hammer it came loose.

Underneath I found 5 broken magnets and a damaged stator. Purchased new magnets & a used stator and reassembled, all is working just fine.

The Nut Size for this flywheel was 1.25"

This continues to be a great site for boaters...

Jerry

daselbee

Commander
Rubber hammer!!! :facepalm:. One whack with a 3 lb metal hammer would have popped it. (For future reference).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Rubber hammer!!! :facepalm:. One whack with a 3 lb metal hammer would have popped it. (For future reference).

Yes some times you have to be a little more aggressive to get the flywheel's attention...