starter switch 1975 'rude 9.9

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1975 ?rude 9.9?.was wondering if the starter switch can be taken apart to burnish the contacts inside to better?make? when the button is pressed? See attached photo. Every once in awhile when the button is pressed nothing happens and I wind up pushing it a number of times before it works. All wire contacts are clean as are the battery cables. If the switch cannot be taken apart to clean the contacts, I was wondering if something like this would work to replace the switch?
http://www.iboats.com/Momentary-Pus...7794155--session_id.459794123--view_id.191209 START-SWITCH.JPG

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you checked / adjusted the nuetral switch ??---Have you checked brushes in the starter >>

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I kind of doubt you could successfully take that switch apart and clean it up and manage to get it back together and still work properly. It looks like it was molded during the manufacturing. But I'm sure you could easily fine a replacement for not too much. It only carries a very little amount of current to the starter solenoid, probably an amp or two at the most... I new one would solve that problem IF that is your intermittent issue.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But there is no starter solenoid on that motor.--At least not when it left the factory.---That switch carries the full current draw of the starter !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
But there is no starter solenoid on that motor.--At least not when it left the factory.---That switch carries the full current draw of the starter !

Okay, that does create a different issue then. If he doesn't buy the factory replacement, then they will be a short lived switch again...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The poster should test the neutral switch / starter switch / inspect the starter brushes.----No guess work is needed here !---Yes that replacement switch rated at 30 amps will work.

Last edited:

Will Bark

Lieutenant
You can go to Auto Zone and get a 60amp pushbutton switch which will have a rubber cover; this will fit in the hole nicely and is capable of handling the amp load of the battery. I use one on my 77 15hp Rude. Good luck

dazk14

Ensign
As Boobie and bark said. The Neutral switch is same switch as start switch and carries full load, just not a lot of amps from tiny starter.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you to everyone for all the info. This will be my little project on the motor ?till the spring thaw here in NJ.
The starter switch is obsolete and originals are available on e-bay for $100+. I like the idea that a substitute 60 amp switch with silver contacts is available for around $20 on internet and/or auto stores. I will check the brushes in the starter motor (brushes are not available separately and you must buy the ?cap assembly? for $50+.