9.9 hp 4 stroke power pack

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice
I bought my Evinrude 4 stroke new in 1997. Soon I will be replacing my 4th ignition power pack. Just wondering if i have had extremly bad luck or are these units likely to break down this much ?? I recall seeing some where that if your battery can't deliver at least 70 amps that the power pack will fail sooner. Can't see why this would be a problem. Can anyone explain this if it's true

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.9 hp 4 stroke power pack

The battery doesn't have anythng to do with the pack - the electrical and ignition systems on that motor are completely seperate, or isolated.<br /><br />What exactly is going wrong? Is the engine just randomly loosing spark & shutting off, or does it start missing after running for a while? Or something different? I've got a couple of different thoughts, but I need to know exactly what's going on, any detail you can provide will be helpful.<br /><br />-John

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice

Hi John<br />The motor started up and when I put it in gear it stalled. I thought I had flooded the engine but couldn't get it started after waiting over an hour and the next day it still wouldn't start. I took an used spark plug and connected it to one of the spark wires and then grounded the outside case of the plug to the engine. While turning the motor over i did not see a spark. I ordered a new ignition power pack but it hasn't arrived yet

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Is this the same thing that happened the other times too?<br /><br />Have you ever had anyone else service the engine or troubleshoot this problem? I have seen on more than one occassion, where someone else had attempted to repair one of these motors and the complaint was similar, pack after pack after pack... In reality though, the first pack probably was bad, but during the troubleshooting process, when they tested the charge coil and power coil outputs, they had distorted the packard connector terminals and this caused an intermittent electrical connection to the pack.<br /><br />Disconnect the plug in connector at the pack, and look at the blade (pins) inside the pack - they're flat and very narrow. Now look at the connector - are the sockets similarly shaped or do they appear rounded out and distorted as if someone forced a volt-meter test lead into it?<br /><br />Also, did you eliminate the stop circuit? Or test the charge coil and power coil? Either of these 3 items could also cause a no spark situation.<br /><br />-John

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice

Hi John:<br />The other problems were different but the motor was under warranty and their solution was to always change the power pack,or so they said. The stop circuit hasn't worked for some time when you pull the lanyard out on the switch. I don't know how long that it has been this way because I never use the lanyard to stop the motor. It could be that they didn't replace the stop wire where you need the special tool to replace the new wire back in the connector .I always just turn the key in the switch to shut the motor off. Because of this I don't really know how long the lanyard has not worked. This is one safety feature that I never saw a use for in a sailboat. I believe that since the motor continues to work when the lanyard out only means that the ignition circuit isn't being shorted out to stop the motor. Although now it may be shorting the pack for some unknown reason when it didn't do it before I had the present problem which is preventing the motor to start. As to the other two coils being the problem I think that is a lower probability than the pack. I have already ordered the new pack so if it turns out to be the switch I will have a backup pack. BTW the dealer that I bought the motor from went out of business...I wonder why ??<br />BTW I could have gotten a Sierra pack a lot cheaper than the OEM. Do you have an opinion on the Sierra pack vs. the oem ???<br />Thanks for your time and concern.

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice

Hi John:<br />PS<br />I will check out the pins as you suggested<br />Here also is the model that I have.<br />E10FRELEU

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice

Hi John:<br />My power pack still hasn't come in.Today I went up to the boat and discovered that the switch ground wire from the power pock wasn't connected. In fact I couldn't find it. Apparently this unit didn't have one or the shop cut it off. This means I was correct in thinking that the lanyard hasn't worked in a long time. I also checked out the output of the PP by putting a 10 ohm resistor to ground and only measured < 1 volt when it is supposed to be >100 volts. I now think the chances have improved that I found the problem. Hopefully the unit will arrive tomorrow.