82 50 hp Johnson lower unit removal

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have removed all the bolts. The unit drops an inch. I can't figure out which bolt hold the shifter rod. I don't have manual.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just remove the starter motor.-----The bolt / pin will then be in plain view and easy to take out and put back in.

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I pulled starter. I saw the bolt/pin. Everything went well. Except, I found a 7/16 x 1 bolt laying on lower unit when I separated it. Been there awhile. I cleaned and inspected all components, found zero wear or damage so I greased the impeller, siliconed the pump o ring and reassembled it. Thanks again.

nwcove

Admiral
you pulled the lu and didnt replace the impeller ?? was it replaced recently ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
When you had the pump out and laid the impeller on the bench, were the vanes straight or did they have a bend in them ??

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat has set for 5 years before that I don't know when it was replaced. I just bought this boat for $500. It didn't run and the seats were rotted out. 15-5 King Fisher. The motor just needed carbs cleaned and fresh gas, the impeller was in great shape other than being formed to the cup too well. I have a new one and will probably put it in this year or next. I fixed the seats with reg plywood. Replaced front deck with treated - no glass and old carpet. The vinyl on the seats was good enough to restaple so I'm good to do a little crappie fishing. I will keep an eye on tattle tale stream. I won't take a half mile from the dock.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Since you now know how to do it id put that new impeller in, that current one thats formed to the cup is worn out and these motors run hot especially if you havent relocated the tell tale outlet to the top of the motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you take a water pump apart and impeller vanes don't stay straight it's replacement time. Good Luck !!