E-Tec inline vs. High Output, 90hp, differences?

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see there is a weight difference between the two - 320lbs for the inline and 390lbs for the High Output version. Considering they have to be in the same HP class to have the same rating, what could be that much different? RPM's and gear ratios are the same. Is the HO just built with more robust components? Or performance-wise does it have an edge over the inline?

82rude

Rear Admiral
inline 3 vs v4. 79cid vs 105cid. and if its anything like the other ho,s it will actually be more than 90hp .I believe their very conservative on the hp numbers for the ho series.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ah. So what is the difference between the 90hp HO and the 115hp V4? Same weight, same gear ratio, same displacement.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The difference is 25 HP. On the same boat, a 115 can twist a prop with more pitch than the 90. Chevy made a gazillion different versions of the 350 CI V8. Displacement didn't change but there were many different HP ratings. In a car, HP is achieved with cam, compression and carburetion. With a two-stroke outboard it is carbs, porting and exhaust tuning.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
So Silvertip - on that logic, for a 90hp motor it would make sense to go with the inline 3 cylinder then, not the high output/4 cylinder - same hp and less weight. It would seem, then, the label of "high output" is just the opposite - a de-rated 115hp instead of a higher performance 90.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Confused. The 90 Etec is a 3 cylinder?

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
So Silvertip - on that logic, for a 90hp motor it would make sense to go with the inline 3 cylinder then, not the high output/4 cylinder - same hp and less weight. It would seem, then, the label of "high output" is just the opposite - a de-rated 115hp instead of a higher performance 90.

I looked at the specs, the HO does seem like a derated 115 as the only difference I found was the HP.

The inline's alternator puts out less amperage (wouldn't make a difference to me), has a little bit less aggressive gear ratio but it is lighter. If you want a better hole shot go with the HO. I don't care if they're both rated at 90 HP, there's no replacement for displacement so the v-4 will definatley get you out of the hole quicker. In my opinion, the HO is for if your boat is rated for 90HP max and you want the most power without going over the Coast Guard's max hp rating.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would be interesting to see the torque curve of both engines on the same chart but I can't find it online.

82rude

Rear Admiral
take it for what its worth .theres whole pages devoted to the ho,s over at the hulltruth.the 135ho is apparently actually 148 hp the 150 is actually164 or there abouts.so following that vein I would not be surprised if the 90 is 105 or so.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Going back to my posts there are a couple things you seem to be missing. Lets discuss the 90 H V4 vs the 115 V4. As I pointed out, most manufacturers have two, three and sometimes four different HP ratings for engines of the same displacement. It is all about "tuning" The 90 V4 may be a "detuned" version of the 115 V4 but it may also be considered that the 115 is a hopped up version of the 90 V4. Engine manufacturers design an engine based on a series of HP ratings they want to fill. So the difference in these two engines -- all else being the same except HP, means the 115 will twist a prop with more pitch than the 90 HP engine on the same boat. That applies provided neither engine is too small for the application or if they are vey close to the minimum required for the boat. In those marginal situations a 90 may struggle but the 115 would provide just the extra bit of power needed to make the boat a good performer. On the other end of the spectrum, those same two engine on the same lightweight boat may perform very close to the same.

Now back to the apples and oranges comparison of the 90 3 cylinder vs the 90 V4. Yes -- 90 HP is 90 HP but there is a big difference in displacement and that is hard to ignore. Yes - 70# is a fair amount of weight disadvantage for the V4, and the 90 may very well be more economical. But for hole shot, and overall performance I would choose the V4 if money was not an issue.