1989 Johnson 70 VRO Bypass - Can you help me check my work?

sumocomputers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just want to make sure I plugged the correct lines and disconnected the right sensor wires. And of course I will now premise at 50:1.

Also wondering if my new routing of the fuel lines might cause any problems. The previous owner used zip ties on the fuel and oil lines, and so I took the time to use snap clamps and reroute the fuel line, since the way it was made it impossible to change the fuel filter very easily without pulling everything off first.

I included photos showing what I did. Here is a link to the higher res photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/80mnupmluth8gf5/AADY-oVFSDQsm447gpIt9brRa

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• photo216193.jpg
    photo216193.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216194.jpg
    photo216194.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216195.jpg
    photo216195.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216196.jpg
    photo216196.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is only one oil line going to the back of the VRO unit.----It needs to be plugged on the VRO side.----Only 1 plug required.----------Unplug the 3 or 4 wire connecter coming from the back of the VRO sensor.------Unplug wires from the oil level sensor at the tank.

sumocomputers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sweet, thanks for the tips, I will take your advice and redo a couple of things.

In the meantime, it is running well with the premix and VRO2 disabled, we will see when it gets out on the water how it runs and how the plugs look after a few hours of running.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The original snap clamps can loosen up with age. The snap clamps are a better idea. You may want to check that grey fuel line from the tank to the engine. We have had problems with this older grey hose that is supposed to be ethanol-ready. The inner plastic lining tends to degrade and actually break down from the ethanol. The bits of the inner liner break away and wind up migrating down the hose to the connector, where they and reduce the fuel flow-potentially causing a lean condition. Pull the connector of the engine end of the hose and see what it looks like inside. Bombardier black fuel hose is the better hose for ethanol fuels.

sumocomputers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tip on the external fuel line. I am going to look at getting the official BRP hose kit with bulb, once I inspect my current one.