1963 Johnson 5.5 Power Head problem

AlTn

Commander
on the shifter side of the exhaust housing...is there an oval shaped plate ~ 1/2 way down between the lower unit and the powerhead, that's mounted with 2 straight slot machine screws?...if so...when you remove those 2 screws and the plate, are the upper and lower shift rods joined by a brass connector revealed?

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Why yes there is. So now I can diconnect the linkage and remove lower unit correct? If so, then was there a change in the design on my motor and I just happen to have a newer year model?

AlTn

Commander
seems you have a "hybird"...if you can post some more pics of the powerhead and motor cover < hood >...the guys can take a stab at hp. and model year for the powerhead, exhaust and lower unit....yes, just remove completely one of the two screws in the connector < I remove the bottom with the shifter in forward > and the lower unit should pull down and off..it doesn't extend more than ~ 1/2 to 3/4 in. into the crankshaft

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Ok good deal. Thanks so much for your help man I really appreciate it. The hood for this motor is for an evinrude 9.9. Guy I bought it from said that when he bought it the man said the hood that was on it busted, so he just found one that fit and put it on. I'll take a few more pictures and post them later. This is just my luck though... A hybrid outboard motor

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think you have a 10 HP ( not a 9.9 ) motor with a 5.5 HP bracket and model #

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A-Ha! I see the problem. it is neither a CD, nor a 5.5hp. It has a shifter interlock, which is found only on motors 10hp and above. Back off and take some pictures of the powerhead so we know what we are dealing with.

The white stern brackets explains it all, the CD number you gave came off them, and they are not original to the rest of the motor. I suspect your motor is a 1959 or 1960 Evinrude 10hp. Waiting for the pictures.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize we are on page two. 10hp Evinrude.

You do NOT have to remove the powerhead to access the water pump, so put it back together.

Last edited:

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Yep you guys are some pretty fart smellers. It never occurred to me until today to check for a freeze plug on the block, because I know there's usually a model number on there. And y'all are correct. 1960 evinrude 10. That would explain my troubles ALL ALONG with this motor. I've had this for about a year and a half and have tinkered with it more times than I care to admit and could never get it running right, now I have my answer as to why.

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

There she is... Been a pain in the a$$ ever since I got her.. Just wish it wasn't because of my own ignorance

Attachments

• photo216229.jpg
    photo216229.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216230.jpg
    photo216230.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216231.jpg
    photo216231.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216232.jpg
    photo216232.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove the inspection plate on top of the flywheel and post pictures of the coils.

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Coils are new from previous owner.. This motor has only been run probably twice since I bought it. So now that mystery is solved I have a new question, this one will be quick though I promise. What should my initial setting be for high and low speed? Just a rough estimate before fine tuning to get me started

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
open 3/4 turn from lightly seated on high speed, 1-1/2 on slow speed

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks for the help guys seriously I really appreciate it. Might sound crazy but I just traded this motor today along with 3 other Junkers I had that belonged in a dumpster. Traded for a merc 9.8 in great shape that cranks and runs like a dream. After all that time, work, and frustration I get a deal like this and just give it away. Anyway I'm working on figuring out what year this merc is but can't find a matchig serial number online so I guess the hunt continues. Might post over on the Mercury forum and see what I can come up with

Last edited: