1963 Johnson 5.5 Power Head problem

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I need your expertise. I have a '63 Johnson 5.5 CD20C and am trying to replace the impeller. I know I have to remove the power head in order to disconnect the shift linkage to get the lower unit off. I have done some research and found that it is a relatively simple process, remove 7 screws and throttle arm and pull her off, but this is not so in my case. I was only able to locate 5 screws on the underside of the motor. Removed all of these and the PH would not budge. So I looked and found 2 nuts on the bottom of PH in a ridiculously hard to reach area and got those off. No budge. I know that it can be pretty tough to break the seal even though all the screws are out but I believe this is something different. Can anyone point me in another direction other than the one I'm headed in? I feel like I'm doing something wrong and do not want to damage anything, done enough of that on other outboards that Ive used to learn on. I've also watched YouTube videos and whatnot but the closest one I found to matching my motor was a mid 50's video and his motor looked a little different than mine. Anyway, thanks in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The other two screws are like the first five, not "nuts". So you must not have found them yet. Hunker down and look up between the exhaust housing and steering bracket casting.

nwcove

Admiral
i do believe there were still 7 on that power head, only one is a bit hidden. a long screwdriver will get it. if you want i will dig out an older cd power head and post a pic of the bottom of the block.

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Nwcove that would be great if you don't mind. I have looked all over this thing and found no other screw. There are 2 threaded holes that I suspected were the 2 screws I am missing. One might still be the case but neither would be considered "hidden" they are both in plain sight. I just can't figure this out. I'm hoping and praying that I don't have a rust welded crank/driveshaft.

nwcove

Admiral
power head is mia, but this is kinda better, cd exhaust housing.JPG will guess you missed the two on the far left or carb end, follow F_R 's comment and have a good look , they are there.

Last edited:

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
I don't know what I've got going on here. That doesn't even look like the same bolt pattern as mine, similar but not exact. I'll have to go out and look again when I get a chance but I really don't think it is the same.

Last edited:

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
It isn't the same...... Not doubting your intelligence at all but is there a chance that that is a slightly different motor? If not then I have a feeling that I've got a bigger problem than I previously had

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----This bolt pattern was the same from about 1954 to 1979 , so what is the model # of your motor and do you have pictures of it ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The OP said he has a 1963 CD-20C. And I agree, the gasket was changed a couple of times, but the bolt pattern stayed the same for over 20 years. So, if this one is different, it isn't a CD-20. Picture time......

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here is a 1972. 1963 would be similar except may have slotted head screws instead of hex head.

Attachments

• photo216191.jpg
    photo216191.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0

AlTn

Commander
you may find it beneficial to invert the engine letting it rest on the flywheel while looking for fasteners

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry if they are a little blurry and sideways or upside down. There has to be an easier way to upload photos, but anyway I'm telling you guys there is no other screws on this thing. I've looked and looked and thought I was going crazy but there is no more screws..... Do I have a Frankenstein? I'm stumped

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

This is the whole thing if it helps. Just to clarify my thinking, the pictures you guys have posted show the rear 3 screws with one offset from the other 2, mine are all in line with each other. One is a tiny bit offset but not nearly as much. I appreciate y'all taking the time to help also. Thanks

Attachments

• photo216205.jpg
    photo216205.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: