stator or the trigger?

Buzzellsc

Cadet
Im not getting spark to one of the spark plugs. I replaced the coil, spark plug, plug wire, the power pack and now what. Ive been reading every thread I can on which one it can be. My battery also dies every time I go out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First off, welcome aboard Buzzellsc, :welcome: good to have you join us.

Okay lets see what you can do. We need the type and manufacturer of your engine as well as the year and model number. There as so many different types that until we know what you're working with, it would be hard to make useful suggestions. Obvious you have a problem because of the fact that you said your battery dies every time out. So post more info and even some pictures of your setup would help too...

Buzzellsc

Cadet
Thanks!!

Its a 2000 Johnson 50
BJ50PLSSM

I had to take it down to a dealer to get the fly wheel off it was so seized up. When I take it out WOT it wont get on a plane and it works really hard. You can tell its only running off one cylinder. I compression tested and everything is good there it just all comes down to not getting spark on one plug

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, yes those flywheels are on there pretty good. But not because of being seized up. It is how they all are because of their tapered shaft. Read some of the folks on here with their efforts in removing the flywheels. Secondly, how did you verify one cylinder wasn't firing? When it is running can you take one spark plug boot off and the engine changes RPMs? And the do the same with the other. A non-sparking cylinder will not make any difference. But if both change the RPMs then you have another problem. However if you already determined a bad or non-sparking in one cylinder, then swap the spark plug coil and see it the problem follows that coil. If it doesn't then you have internal issues. If it does, then you need a new coil...

Buzzellsc

Cadet
I pulled the boot off one at a time. One did nothing the other made the motor die.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I pulled the boot off one at a time. One did nothing the other made the motor die.

Okay then you do have a dead spark in one cylinder. Now if you can swap the good sparking cylinder parts (one at a time) with the dead cylinder parts and see if the dead cylinder now sparks. That is a really good way to isolate bad parts. Once you isolated the bad part(s) then replace them and happy boating again. If by chance you can't isolate the bad parts by swapping them around, then what feeds the spark coils is the problem... Hope that helps.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Like gm said. See if the "bad" parts work on the good cylinder. Don't over look the spark plug and lead. Those will get you sometimes.

If it's not the coil or power pack, my bet would be trigger/timer base vs stator. Stators generally work, or they don't. No in between.

I'd put the flywheel back on and index it. See if it's double firing on the good cylinder.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 2 cylinder motors used to have but one sensor coil and one charge coil for the capacitor.----These fire both coils via the powerpack.-----Time to investigate further by checking all wiring and plug in connecter pins and sockets.

Fed

Commander
I'd test it with a spark tester, pulling a lead off and getting no change only tells you the cylinder isn't working.
Maybe the one that doesn't work spat the rings out the exhaust pipe.

Buzzellsc

Cadet
ok so I ohm tested the trigger.
(Red) to (Black)

Wires coming from trigger:
Green to white 28 ohms
White to green 28 ohms
no other readings

Wires from Motor
Green to Blue 239
White to Blue 127
White to Green 127

Buzzellsc

Cadet
I also tested the Stator and its
Brown to Brown/Yellow 791 ohms
Orange to Orange/brown 402 Ohms

those were the only reading I got from them

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Were those readings within spec as in the cdi troubleshooter?
Also i just reread that you said your battery loses charge, try this rectifier test too, on some motors in the cdi troubleshooter they say that are bad rectifier can lead to a missing spark- and it can definitely lead to loss of battery charge.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...faq/195576-small-rectifier-test-by-joe-reeves

German shepherds, my absolute favourites

Buzzellsc

Cadet
the only reading that were off were from the stator.
Brown to brown/yellow is suppose to be 450-550
orange to orange/brown is suppose to be 450-550

German Shepherds are the best!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Do you know which of those go to the powerpack and which go to the charging system?

I had a female german shepherd a while back, im keen to get another. I live on a farm and it always impressed me how her ears worked like precision pinpointing radars even when she was asleep

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Also id test your rectifier too as if that goes awry it can cause problems upstream in the stator

Buzzellsc

Cadet
I Tested it with diode function Red Lead to Red, Black Lead to yellow and yellow/grey and got nothing. Then Red Lead to Red, Black lead to yellow and got 496. and then Black Lead to yellow/grey and got 492