Evinrude 55hp clutch dog DIY

Mercnewguy

Seaman
I've got a 1983 55 hp Evinrude that does the "clang" when under load and I'm pretty sure the clutch dog is the culprit and is all rounded out. I've got a manual and have been looking at diagrams and all the gearcase youtube videos I can find but wanted to ask the pros opinion here. How difficult is the clutch dog replacement process for a average mechanicly inclined guy? I'd like to do it myself since the shop is charging an outrageous fee to do it on this motor.

82rude

Rear Admiral
its not hard atall.a camera can be your friend .take lots of pics when disassembling to help you along in re assembling.me I have the uncanny ability of being able to just glance at the parts coming out and I know later exactly where and how they go in later.cant tell you what I did a week ago, but I can remember the smallest part and exactly where and how it goes on.im also quite sure brp has a online exploded view of the gearcase.if your sure its the clutch dog its about 110 bucks from brp.I just checked and brp does have a nice exploded view with all the parts .go slow and easy and take lots of digital pics, they can be your best friend if you get confused later on.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with 82rude. I can remember things UNLESS the disassemble is far between the reassemble again. So regardless how well you think you will remember things, pictures have bailed me out a lot of questionable times. And that is because if you disassemble the foot and then find out you need other parts that have to be ordered, you can easily forget how things actually came apart by the time the additional parts arrive. My biggest problem is when that happens, I usually order those parts and then jump on something else. So it really isn't unusual for me to have multiple projects torn apart at the same time... PICTURES are your friend! JMHO!

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
would it be possible to turn the clutch dog around and use the other side:confused::joyous:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The forward and reverse gears are totally different , switching things around just does not work !!!!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Clutch dog @ $100. plus change, Forward gear is sold as a set, forward gear and pinion gear @ $321.42

From the experience that I had the hardest part is removing the 2 snap rings. I tried 2 different sets of snap ring pliers and couldn't get them out. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
Clutch dog @ $100. plus change, Forward gear is sold as a set, forward gear and pinion gear @ $321.42

From the experience that I had the hardest part is removing the 2 snap rings. I tried 2 different sets of snap ring pliers and couldn't get them out. Maybe you'll have better luck.

The problem I had with the snap ring in my 35 hp was that the handles of the store bought pliers were too wide to fit in the case. Copying the shape of the tips of a store bought snap ring pliers I made a pair from a 11 inch needle nose pliers I bought at Harbor Freight. They work good.

DLH

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The problem I had with the snap ring in my 35 hp was that the handles of the store bought pliers were too wide to fit in the case. Copying the shape of the tips of a store bought snap ring pliers I made a pair from a 11 inch needle nose pliers I bought at Harbor Freight. They work good.

DLH

The 50\55hp must have stronger rings then because I tries the HF pliers 1st they wouldn't do it. then I bought a pair from NAPA, these, http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...p-Ring-Pliers-Internal/_/R-SERP951_0006402589 and they wouldn't compress far enough to remove them either.