Fixing treads

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Got an old outboard block with some bad treads ...(exhaust cover + watercover on the heads )<br />Tried JB weld , but not satisfied .<br />Now I got this mixture from a friend " Metallplastic " Metallplastic GMBH , any one tested this one before ?

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fixing treads

use heli-coils
Maybe I could , but those thing are hard to find over here , and if I could find some , they would be metric .<br />None of the bolts I want to repair are critical ,thats why I want to try this "weld" :) .

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fixing treads

Droll....Ya' might try this.....clean bad holes out real good. Make sure there is not oil or grease in them. Run a tap in them to further clean up any threads left and clean them out again. Also clean the bolts up real good. Put some of the material you want to use in the hole. Give the bolt your going to use a coat of grease to prevent the weld from sticking to the bolt and screw it into the hole. Leave it set till near set up and gently remove the bolt. Let the hole set up according to directions. Might work.....might not. Has worked for me a few times.