​1989 Johnson 70 Warning Horn Seems Faulty - Do I need it under my Circumstances?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
That tan wire should have no voltage on it at all, its a neg ground. And it should only have neg ground when a sensor is saying theres a problem, the rest of the time it should be open. Id imagine that low voltage you had has gradually burnt the horn out without you hearing it over the engine noise.
Now that you have removed all the sensors from the vro, where the tan wire comes out of the back sensor for overheating part it in the rubber boot.
See if that stops it being 12V from tan to purple. If it does it sounds like your sensor has a leak to ground, it it doesnt stop it, somewhere along the wiring harness theres a leak to ground on that tan wire

Last edited:

Fed

Commander
KEY ON ENGINE TEMP SENSOR GROUNDED
Purple & Tan = 12V
The horn is faulty.

Don't get confused by the 3 Volts it's caused by the electronic wizardry in the VRO and/or the oil level switch whereas the temp switch is straight out on or off.

If you dump the VRO system all you need to do is unplug the VRO & level switch and connect a piezo between the purple and tan wires.

I'm unsure how the fuel restriction switch works but suspect it's the same as the temp switch with no electronics, if so it will also still work. I'll find out today. Do you even have one, not all V4s did.

Edit: The fuel restriction switch if fitted is simply an on/off switch the same as the temp switch so leave it as is.

Last edited:

Will Bark

Lieutenant
If you are going external go to Auto Zone or other parts places and get a back-up horn for around 10 bucks works like a charm. Good luck

sumocomputers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fed, I have the new buzzer installed to purple and tan, and what I do know is that it is silent with key on, and it beeps when I short the engine temp tan wire to ground, so I think I am good (assuming the sensor itself works!). As for the fuel restriction, the service manual mentions it, but also covers several engines from 60 70 for 1989, so I am not going to worry about it.

Bosunmate, I was saying even with the new buzzer, I don't get the initial chirp when turning the key on. I was asking if this year had that feature.

Regarding the initial "test" chirp, does anyone know if this year should have it? If it does I am wondering if it was something that is internal to the factory buzzer; in other words, when you turn the key, as soon as the buzzer gets 12V between Purple and Black maybe, it has it's own logic to let out a single chirp. If that is true, then my replacement buzzer simply won't do that, since it is a "dumb" 2 wire buzzer.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Fed

Commander
I checked the BRP website it seems the 1989 horn fits motors up to 1995 but the 1988 horn (mine) fits motors from 1988 and down.
I have a 2 wire dummy.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Fed, I have the new buzzer installed to purple and tan, and what I do know is that it is silent with key on, and it beeps when I short the engine temp tan wire to ground, so I think I am good (assuming the sensor itself works!). As for the fuel restriction, the service manual mentions it, but also covers several engines from 60 70 for 1989, so I am not going to worry about it.

Bosunmate, I was saying even with the new buzzer, I don't get the initial chirp when turning the key on. I was asking if this year had that feature.

Regarding the initial "test" chirp, does anyone know if this year should have it? If it does I am wondering if it was something that is internal to the factory buzzer; in other words, when you turn the key, as soon as the buzzer gets 12V between Purple and Black maybe, it has it's own logic to let out a single chirp. If that is true, then my replacement buzzer simply won't do that, since it is a "dumb" 2 wire buzzer.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Yes a 2 wire wont do that, its something in the proper part horn that makes it do that initial cherp, i suspect a capacitor or something.
I wouldnt stress too much about not having that, just ground the tan wire every now and again to check its working.
A 1989 definitely has that, my 1982 does...

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
My '89 175 does not have the test chirp, and the horn functions as it should. The only ones that I've heard of having the test chirp are the System Check engines. I'm not sure what years and sizes had the fuel restriction alert.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
The BRP website says no Bosun, could yours have been replaced/updated or maybe you have a later model controller.

It must of being, about the only thing that was updated when i got it.
My model never came with a vro so its only input is the tan overheat wire.
Its just a quick chirp when key is turned to on