1973 Johnson 115

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Pro-crastinator. I appreciate the input and I understand and concur with your assessment. I was however basically flushing out milky oil and I had it on the shelf I will drain it again the next time I have it warm up and put in the proper lower unit oil. I just needed something in it for that day so I could go out and wanted to be sure it was it compatible oil even if it does not possess the water resistant properties it should.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
bobsquatch, dont mean to be bearer of bad news but if you reverse battery terminals , it will blow rectifier. dont ask how i know. ha ha :joyous:

Good news. Rectifier is charging however it is putting out 16 volts which seems a little high.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"Unplugging" the safety switch would make it NOT work. If you want to check that part, ground the wire that goes to the safety switch. The safety switch grounds one of the small posts on the solenoid when it is safe to start. The other small post receives 12V from the key switch when you turn it to start position. Makes no difference which is which. If you are not getting that 12V in start position, my guess is the neutral start switch in the remote control is bad......OR it is not in neutral.

So it turns out the neutral safety switch on the engine is INOP. I grounded it out and it works fine. Also there is a neutral safety switch in the 1990 control box I am using so I can bypass the one on the engine without disabling the safety feature.