1996 Johnson 112 SPL randomly stops running

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1996 Johnson 112 SPL randomly stops running while under power running down the lake. It starts right up and runs great every time out but randomly will just completely die then starts right back up. I'm positive it's not a fuel problem because it goes from running smoothly to completely dead. The only way I can duplicate the problem is to turn the switch off and on while under way. It's never left me stranded but its a problem I have been chasing for several years now. Some times I can go all season without a problem then randomly happens again, I have gone through the entire electrical system cleaning and tightening connections. I thought I had found the problem in a large wiring harness connector under the console that was corroded. But the problem has come back. It happens so randomly a boat repair shop may have to run it for hours to duplicate the problem if it would even happen at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Have you tested key switch and safety stop switch? Look for possible short to ground in Blk/Y wire also. Some key switches also have a little hole in them. Sometimes I have found this hole to be in the up position not down. That can let water in and make problems as the hole is supposed to function as a drain.

Fed

Commander
Make sure the ground connection for the power pack is perfect.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
When you have it running, tap on the power pack with a screw driver handle and see what happens.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
For got to mention this-Check that no one used the black and yellow line to splice into for a ground for a fish finder or whatever electronics they needed to run.