Evinrude 85HP Water Pump Repair

msmith

Recruit
I have disassembled my 1977 85 Evinrude to replace the impeller. I ordered the Sierra kit that it called for(18-3384) but the impeller is about 1/2" too large in diameter. The housing measures just under 3" inside and the impeller is approx. 3 1/2". The housing seems to have a chrome cup and the pump has two water tubes. Most of the pumps I find on the internet hav only one water tube. I'm trying to find out exactly what I have so I can get the right kit for it. Can anyone shed any light on this?

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Evinrude 85HP Water Pump Repair

MES If you straighten the vanes out on your old impeller,they too will be 1/2 inch too big.install the new one,it'll work.<br />DHP

msmith

Recruit

Originally posted by DHPMARINE:<br /> MES If you straighten the vanes out on your old impeller,they too will be 1/2 inch too big.install the new one,it'll work.<br />DHP

msmith

Recruit

I knew my first post would end up sounding completely stupid. Thanks for replying anyway.

DHPMARINE

Captain

MES,Not a stupid post at all .Now you know,and think of all the people WE have educated with YOUR question! !! !<br />DHP

bubbakat

Captain

MES they are telling you right about this. I will look tomorrow and get the part number for your motor because I have one of those and just replaced the whole water pump.<br />When you install the impeller on the shaft and then push the cap down onto it and rotate the shaft clockwise it will curl the vanes of the impeller In the right direction. They will be curled about 1/2 inch

ivanrootorlando

Recruit

I have disassembled my 1977 85 Evinrude to replace the impeller. I ordered the Sierra kit that it called for(18-3384) but the impeller is about 1/2" too large in diameter. The housing measures just under 3" inside and the impeller is approx. 3 1/2". The housing seems to have a chrome cup and the pump has two water tubes. Most of the pumps I find on the internet hav only one water tube. I'm trying to find out exactly what I have so I can get the right kit for it. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I Have @ Of these engines maybe this will help youhttp://www.marineengine.com/parts/sierra_marine/catalog.html?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/sierra_marine/sierra00629.htm