1956 30hp Evinrude adventures

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Heres a pic of the Mikuni - mounted and plumbed to the intake port cover. (Thanks again Frank)

Attachments

• photo215967.jpg
    photo215967.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps find a shop that might still have a test propeller.----See if they can put it in a tank to see if motor is adjusted properly and capable of producing it's rated power.---Sounds to me that the carburetor needs to be adjusted.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
I am determined to get to the bottom of this. - Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again.
Just ordered gaskets for exh cover.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
I am quite certain your issue is not compression related. However, a good decarb is still a good idea, especially if there is carbon buildup. Pulling the exhaust plate will help determine this.

Forget your Item #2 on your list. Simply ensure that the points are set correctly, 020, or better yet using a timing fixture if you have one. Timing is fixed on these via the flywheel key.

I am still leaning to exhaust issues, be it carbon build up, damaged gasket, damaged plate, etc..., OR a carb set up/linc n sync issue.

Ill assume you set the needles on the water. Leaning out the high speed needle did not improve things? What is it currently set to? I find most of my Big Twins end up being about 1/4 to 1/2 turn out from seated once set.

To perform linc n sync, the carb butterflies should start to open when the pointer on the intake manifold lines up with the hash mark on the cam. NOT when the cam roller hits the hash mark, like on smaller hp motors of that vintage. To adjust, if incorrect, line up the pointer and the hash mark on the cam, loosen the cam screw with the oblong hole, and push in/pull out as needed, so that the throttle plate is just starting to open when these two items line up.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Organization is gonna be the key here.
SO as I am visualizing the job to come, My initial attention will be directed to the exhaust cover plate(s).
Second task will be removal of silencer to be able to watch everything move around while underway so that the carb set up/linc n sync issues can be checked off.
My hopes are that its an exhaust gasket/plate problem that will jump up and slap me in the face.
The carbon build up theory is weak - based on the remarkable lack of carbon that I saw when the head was off.

The fuel mix needles are really an amazing function. Under operation, we find the best position. Last time out, I made a note to bring along an open end wrench to tighten the packing so that the knob would resist "walking" under the engines vibration. Confidence very high on this item.

Pumping the fuel bulb and checking the prop and eventually checking on point gap etc... the list goes on.
We're bracing for a little snow today. Might be a week or so until I can get my hands on her.

GOnna get a new printer cartridge and print out this thread. Thanks again Chris - and all.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Recap,
Frank and Chris were concerned that water was getting to where is should not be and I am in process of pulling exhaust cover. Just picked up a new hand ? impact driver that will make things easier. (another lost tool replaced) Just realized this morning that lower cowl is in 2 parts and that it CAN be removed with a minimum of fuss. Will get on to that very soon.
64osby, orbanp, steelspike and others got me thinking about other possibilities..
And then it happened. I was fiddling around, moving the parts that were supposed to move and noticed something that proves I barely know enough to be dangerous.
Pic below shows the ?part? installed upside down ? which prevented the throttle from opening up all the way. I have been running this thing for the past 9 months this way. Now, I'm really looking forward to getting her on the water again. The throttle was only opening up a little over half way ? and I didn't know enough to realize it. You guys are amazing and I could not have made this step forward without you all. Thank You.
But ? the adventure continues.
The gaskets ordered came in wrong and were re shipped. Next trip to the lake will be laden with tools.

Attachments

• photo216488.jpg
    photo216488.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216489.jpg
    photo216489.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Heres the prop. No pitch info found. - Not that its an issue now that the primary problem has been discovered and corrected.
Just thought it was interesting.

Attachments

• photo216521.jpg
    photo216521.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216522.jpg
    photo216522.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is a Michigan Wheel Co. prop. PJ-35 is their model number and it is 10 3/8" diameter X 13 1/4" pitch.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Frank.
... and thanks for not rubbing in the noobie mistake on the "linkage shaft upside down install" error.