No starter engagement on a 225 hp evinrude

Slammer3

Cadet
I have a problem with my 98 225hp Evinrude with the starter not engaging. Here is the scenico,boat started great,ran about 10 mile out,shut of engine,went to start engine about 15 min later,nothing at all. I have checked the fuse to the engine,looked at the pins in the harness,jumped out the netural safety switch. I have disconnect the main harness,jumped the soleniod,starts right up.plug harness back in ,dies out. I replaced the ingnetion switch,looked for loose wire in pin connecters. I was thinking bad soleniod,thats the only thing i can come up with. Any ideals to fix this problem?Forgot to metion both batteries have a full charge.Also the engine goes thru the sytem check check,but no ignition.

ob

Admiral
Re: No starter engagement on a 225 hp evinrude

I suppose when you jumped the solenoid and got starter to crank that you simply jumped the two large cables.To test whether the solenoid is working jump from the large red cable on the input side to the small igniton terminal and see if she cranks.If not ,the solenoid is likely bad.

Slammer3

Cadet
Re: No starter engagement on a 225 hp evinrude

Fixed the motor tonite,saved at least $200 for not having to have the mechanic do a service call in the slip. :D Problem was a bad soleniod. I bought the omc shop manual,like the reg. tech people use,was written in plain english,all test were easy to do with a meter,etc :D I highly recomend buying a service manual if you do yoiur own repairs etc,just look at the money it saved me/ :) Thank for the advise on checking out the problem. by the way,if you are a fisherman,you might want to check out this website www.thebasssbarn.com I found this website from them.