1984 35 hp evinrude shift problem

gerhand44

Cadet
This motor is stuck in in forward. All cable controls are disconnected and I can't move the shift lever from forward to neutral. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can try rotating the prop while trying to shift (have someone help) to see if that will help. If not, you are going to have to go into the foot and find the problem...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Remove the water inlet screens from the sides of the lower unit gearcase, and look in to see if both the upper and lower shift rods move when you operate the shifter lever. If the upper does not move, problem is under the powerhead. If the upper moves, but lower doesn't, problem is there at the disconnect you are looking at. If lower does move, but doesn't shift, problem is inside the gearcase.

gerhand44

Cadet
Thanks for responding so quickly. I have the screens off and the rods are still connected but do not move ( maybe just a hair ).

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, assuming the shift handle isn't loose on the shaft (obvious), then the inner shift lever assembly inside the exhaust housing is the problem. That means the powerhead has to come off to inspect/fix it.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
How longs it being since it worked properly, has it being sitting for a while?
Have you checked the gearcase oil that its not full of water?

gerhand44

Cadet
I just got this motor about a month ago and it was shifting fine. I'm putting a new control box on and was testing to see if the throttle was opening all the way. I removed the cable and it sat there for a couple weeks. I'm in Minnesota and the temp. went down to single digits for awhile and that's when I tried shifting it to shift to neutral. I disconnected the shift rod and noticed the top rod does move up and down about a 1/4". I'm thinking it's stuck in the gear box. I drained the fluid which was very thick. I'm going to remove the bottom unit when it gets a little warmer. Is it OK to remove the lower unit while in forward? Thanks, Jerry

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I just got this motor about a month ago and it was shifting fine. I'm putting a new control box on and was testing to see if the throttle was opening all the way. I removed the cable and it sat there for a couple weeks. I'm in Minnesota and the temp. went down to single digits for awhile and that's when I tried shifting it to shift to neutral. I disconnected the shift rod and noticed the top rod does move up and down about a 1/4". I'm thinking it's stuck in the gear box. I drained the fluid which was very thick. I'm going to remove the bottom unit when it gets a little warmer. Is it OK to remove the lower unit while in forward? Thanks, Jerry

When you drained the foot oil, what color was it?. Milky looking or dark? Did any water come out while draining? If there was any water in the foot, at single digits it could have frozen in position thereby making it near impossible to move. After you drained the foot oil. could you move the shifter linkage then? It does sound like the foot is going to come off to fix it. Take a lot of pictures and post them and keep us informed as what is going on with in... We are here to help out!

gerhand44

Cadet
Not milky or any water, nice bright color, but not much came out. Still can't move the shift lever. Can I take off the lower unit with it in gear?

gerhand44

Cadet
I just loosened all the bolts and the lower unit dropped down about an inch. The lever moves from neutral to forward, working great. It's -10 now so I'll wait till Sat. when it gets up to + 20 to do anything more.

AlTn

Commander
yes, as long as you can separate the upper and lower shift rods and the driveshaft isn't stuck in the crank, the LU should come right off...before you go any further...you have been turning either the prop shaft or the driveshaft while trying to shift, right?..this was mentioned in Post #2...I find it easiest to remove the spark plugs to release the compression while doing this....if you've been trying to move the shift lever w/o the prop shaft turning...it's makes it extremely unlikely that the dog will slip into engagement with the gear...and makes it difficult for it to slip out of engagement into neutral

Last edited:

gerhand44

Cadet
Does the plastic keeper on the end of the shift rod come off? and how do I get it off, so the nut will come off to drop the LU all the way down.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, it's split. Remember which way the taper goes. Don't lose it. The darn things are around $6 plus shipping.

DLH

gerhand44

Cadet
I've got the lower unit off, in my basement to thaw out. The lever wouldn't budge, 1/2 hour later there is a little movement.

gerhand44

Cadet
After sitting in the warm house for a day, it seems to shift fine by hand. I will be using synthetic gear lube from now on. Thanks for every ones help. Jerry

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say there is / was a problem with water or ice in the lower unit.--------Perhaps do a pressure test on it.-----------Gears and bearings do get somewhat spendy on those lower units.