How to remove lower unit

60 hp

Recruit
I have a 1967 60 hp Johnson engine. I need to remove the lower unit to replace the impeller. Besides the obvious bolts on the outside of the lower unit what else has to be disconnected to remove the unit? Where can I get an impeller for this model Engine?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
You can buy an impeller here at IBOATS. If the motor is manual shift you will need to disconnect the shift linkage.

60 hp

Recruit
I understand that I need to disconnect the shift linkage but I'm not sure if I do that then at the bottom of the linkage or at the top on the motor? I just need to know the location of that disconnect

boobie

Supreme Mariner
There is a small cover half way down the exhaust housing on the port side. Remove that. Underneath that you'll find another cover, remove that. Look in and you'll see the linkage. Remove the bottom bolt and that will disconnect the linkage.

60 hp

Recruit
The only covering on the port side is a inlet port for the water for the water pump. Under that there is no other screws or plate.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up a 1968 65 HP {same thing as yours) and go to exhaust housing and cover. You'll see the access plates I'm talking about. It shows them on the port side.

Last edited:

60 hp

Recruit
I have been able to replace impeller. I bought muffs so that I can check to see if the water pump was working but find that they do not fit this model engine. Is there some type of muff or other way I can get water into the engine to check it. Or do I just need to put it in a barrel of water.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
I'd put in Barrel of water and make sure you are well above the water pump level at least half way up the leg. good luck

boobie

Supreme Mariner
What linkage did you disconnect to get the lower unit off ????