Johnson 48hp rough idle & smokes......normal?

WhereBob

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1985 Johnson 48hp 2 cylinder always has shaken a little in idle and smoked. The dealer I bought it from last year said this is normal for a 2 cylinder Johnson. Is this true? <br />Seems to run good otherwise. <br /><br />Bob

ob

Admiral
Re: Johnson 48hp rough idle & smokes......normal?

He sounds to be shooting pretty straight with you.The two cylinder John/Rudes don't idle real smoothe.Keep fresh Champion plugs in it each season and mix your fuel at exactly 50:1 using a BIA/TCW3 oil and fresh 87 octane fuel.<br /><br />A seasonal decarb will keep it running better as well.

WhereBob

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Whats a seasonal decarb?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Bob

ob

Admiral

There are several products available that can be either mixed in with your fuel tank or sprayed directly into the engines cylinders via sparkplug holes that will break up carbon deposits from piston ring grooves and piston heads.This will keep your engine ooperating more efficiently and prevent any excessive carbon related compression issues.You can visit the FAQ section of these forums for some good reading on the subject or perform a search on one of the various forums.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you run it through the carb. it will clean the gum and varnish off the reeds and remove carbon from the pistons and exaust. You can use decarb or sea foam, i prefer decarb, you can get it at napa they will have to order it, or most marine dealers have it or sea foam just follow the instructions. Or you can run b-12 in your gas that also helps.

WhereBob

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great info, Thanks all!<br /><br />Bob