1989 48 HP Evinrude - won't hold pressure

Jaktau

Recruit
I have a 1989 48 HP Evinrude. I am having trouble keeping the bulb tight so the engine is not starting. I have to choke it to get it started and then it dies while idling. I recently had a carberator kit installed. I also have a new fuel line from the gas can to the motor. The bulb will tighten up for about 5 to 7 seconds when pumped and then will go soft. I can't see gas coming out anywhere in the motor to indicate a leak. Any suggestions on where I should look nextto solve the issue?

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1989 48 HP Evinrude - won't hold pressure

Jaktau,<br />Welcome to iboats!<br /><br />Will your motor continue to idle if you squeeze the primer bulb?? If it will continue to run, this can be caused by a couple of things.<br />A bad or weak fuel pump<br />Leaking fuel line fittings from tank to motor<br />Clogged pickup screen in tank<br />Faulty primer bulb<br />Carb float may be mis-adjusted<br />Dirty carb<br />Carb idle mixture screw mis-adjusted <br /><br />Most motors will need to be choked when cold and then as the motor warms, the choke removed. <br />If you can keep the motor running while spraying fuel mix into the throat of the carb, you have a fuel delivery issue.

D

DJ

Re: 1989 48 HP Evinrude - won't hold pressure

Primer bulbs rarely stay rock hard, just firm.<br /><br />Do you see evidence of fuel leaking anywhere? An oil slick on the water perhaps?