65hp Evinrude sportfour trying to run backwards?

leatherneck46

Seaman
  • Hi,<br /><br />I just bought a 65hp evinrude sportfour model# 65832B, not sure of the year. Heres the problem.When I release the key after attempting to start it, the motor "chugged" while I was watching the flywheel, started and ran backwards for just a few seconds. Everyone says "no way can't happen", so I tried it again. looks like it is. Is this possible? I'm not sure where to start with this problem. :confused: P.S So glad I found this site!

BF

Lieutenant
Re: 65hp Evinrude sportfour trying to run backwards?

my guess is wildly off timing... maybe someone put the flywheel on the wrong way? I'd start by pulling the flywheel and see how things look under there. Somehow mark how it's on there now, so you can figure out whether it's right or wrong. Looks like a shop manual might be a good idea. Did you see the engine run before you bought it? Are you sure it's going backwards (the opposite way from the way the starter turns it)?<br /><br />Brent

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Leatherneck,<br /> That motor has a timing belt to run the magneto. Chances are someone has mis-aligned the timing belt, or it has become loose with age and has jumped a tooth or ten. I'd find a manual and double check the timing....<br />- Scott

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sometimes they will run backwards, in fact my 71 60 horse has a special grounding spring under the flywheel to prevent it. Check your manual and see if you have something like this. I have heard they will break or wear out and then your motor can run backwards. 2 strokes have no cams or valves so there is really no reason they cant.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Check to see that the plug wire's are in proper order. The right bank of cylinders is #1, and #3, left bank, #2, AND #4. The distributor cap is numbered for each wire. I have seen these engines start, and run backwards with the plug wires in the wrong order.

leatherneck46

Seaman

Went out to check for spark at the plugs.Found that the only time it sparked was when the key was released and the motor kicked backwards,started a couple of times in reverse again. Going to get a manual tommorrow and pull the flywheel and see whats going on. I checked Compression and looked good on all 4 lungs.<br /> Thanks guys .... I thought I was going loco about the motor running backwards.

leatherneck46

Seaman

Need some help with the year of my 65hp Evinrude Sportfour motor, model#65832B .... Serial# E01022, also was wondering if I can muddle through most repairs without a big investment in special tools and test equipment? Just a rookie at marine motors.

Paul Moir

Admiral

You need only a couple special tools to wrench the thing. A proper puller for the flywheel, mabey a flywheel holder, an inch-lb reading torque wrench if you're getting into head gaskets or serious disassembly, a foot-lb reading torque wrench for the flywheel nut and a few other things. Not expensive stuff anyway.<br />I've gotten away with using a heafty harmonic balancer puller for pulling flywheels for years now. You need to get some 1/4" x 20tpi grade 8 bolts for it though.<br /><br />Your engine is a 1968 model.

leatherneck46

Seaman

Thanks Paul, <br /><br />This site is awsome with response time and knowledge.

leatherneck46

Seaman

I got the fly wheel off ... but havn't received my omc manual yet from e-bay.I was wondering about the special grounding spring thats supposed to keep the motor from starting backwards.Can some one describe how its installed? Looks like it has no function just sitting there.

capt. richard

Recruit

It is possible. My engine did. If the timing is off just a little, the machinery will run in 'reverse'.

However, under the distributor at the very bottom is a copper spring that rides on the crankshaft. It will wear because it 'slides' on the shaft. If the motor reverses, the spring is forced in the other direction and cuts the current to the distributor by diverting current to the shaft and grounding it. A short circuit, if you will. Mine had worn and lost its tension and caused this to happen. The manuals usually show that spring clip. New ones are still available on the internet for less than $10.00. Buy a couple. They will wear out!

This is posted late because I just found it but it may help others.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What a waste of time reading through that long thread that dates back to 2004. He has probably fixed it or junked it by now. Besides, the '68 65hp didn't have an anti-reverse spring.