1985 evinrude 40 needs tender loving care

caphank

Cadet
I am having three problems with my 1985 Evinrude 40 with electric remote vro. First, it very hard to start every time, cold or hot, unless I raise the idle lever all the way up and prime the carb using the ignition key. Secondly, the engine won’t idle on it owns. Third, the engine surges at @4500 rpm or higher whenever the boat skips over a wave. I have to throttle down to @2500 rpm, let it settle down before I can increase throttle again. Then it repeats all over again.<br />Here what I done so far. The compression test is the same as three yrs ago. It’s 140 psi at #1 cyl and 80 psi at #2. The reason for the difference is three yrs ago the vro gave out during a cruise and I assuming it damaged the rings in #2. I now mix my oil with the gas, but the oil hose is still connected. It been running smooth ever since and there is enough power for me anyway. I replaced the plugs and wires. I disconnected each wire to the plug one at a time. There was a considerable drop in rpm for both cyl. I checked the timing for 19* btdc and it was close enough. I cleaned out the tank, install new fuel hose, clean out the filter, and messed with the linkages. Nope.<br />Now don’t laugh but I happen to have an identical engine in my yard for spare parts. The lower unit blew but the engine was in fine shape. I swapped the carbs and fuel pump. No improvement. I then disassemble all four carbs and found a little scum in one and float adjustment off in another. I cleaned and adjusted as needed. I did not rebuild them. I used the old gaskets and needles. I couldn’t strip it down completely because I was afraid of breaking something. They looked very clean otherwise. Actually, I could rev those babies manually with the throttle linkage and they sound as if they really kick ***. Now here something that puzzles me. I can put a rag over the #1 carb and block the air from entering. The engine died. When I did this to #2 the engine still ran, and it felt a little smoother. Is that strange? After reading the forum, my guess is the reed plate/valve could be the culprit. Do you agree? Thanks for any suggestions. <br /><br />-Caphank.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1985 evinrude 40 needs tender loving care

Howdy Caphank.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />You sure have a barrel of snakes there.<br /><br />First of all, running the engine with no load tells you nothing except that the engine runs.<br /><br />It seems that your #1 cylinder is making almost all of the power. That makes sense because the #2 is clearly damaged.<br /><br />The under-load behavior you describe sounds like you are severely down on power. 4500 rpm is the lowest rpm you should get at full throttle. 5500 is a good rpm for top speed running.<br /><br />Your engine, I fear, needs something more than TLC. It needs a major overhaul, maybe even a rebuild. Either reconnect the VRO or completely remove the oiling system and tune it according to the Service Manual. <br /><br />Good luck, and let us know what you find. :)

reeldutch

Lieutenant

yep 140 psi and 80 psi that aint good.<br />you can try to fix problems and look for causes but if you have a compression difference as much as 60 psi that motor cant run the way it should. 10% ore 15 psi they say is not to bad.<br />you can run it but eventualy you wil run into more and more and more problems pretty quick.<br />loosing power hard starting and not idling are all signs with your compression difference that it is time for a complete rebuild.<br />do it now before you destroy your crankshaft,bearings rods or even blow your block.<br /><br />good luck

BF

Lieutenant

I don't get it... you have an "identical" engine with bad lower unit but good motor, and the one on your boat has a bad cylinder (but good lower unit)... So, why haven't you put the lower unit from the one on your boat onto the "spare" motor?? Should be good then, right? If you can do that, then forget about your poor-running engine... it just became your new "parts donor".<br /><br />Brent

caphank

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I was procasinating the inevitable, hoping for a quick and easy solution to get me through the fishing season. But you convinced me the best thing for me to do is an engine transplant. So I guess I be asking you guys for more help. Heh! Heh!<br />Seriously, any thing I should watch out for and is there anything I should have on hand before starting? Thanks. Caphank

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Caphank.<br /><br />You should have an OMC Service Manual close at hand.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

phatmanmike

Captain

i think you answered your own questions on why it is so hard to run and start and adle<br />
140 psi at #1 cyl and 80 psi at #2.

D

DJ

caphank,<br /><br />I agree with all of the responses. The engine is sick.<br /><br />By the way, the oil injection failure did NOT cause one cylinder to go bad. Oil injection CANNOT be cylinder selective. Oil is mixed in BEFORE it gets to the carburetors.<br /><br />Most likely a clogged carburetor jet caused your problems and it probably is still clogged.

caphank

Cadet

Hi DJ. You're probably right. If I remember connectly I did find a little scum in the bottom of the bowl in #2 carb. I hope that's taken care of now. <br />I have a repair manual and flipped to the clean pages, the motor overhaul section. Read it twice, high-lighted the important stuff and took pics before starting. A couple of hours later I had one power head on the workbench. I almost drop the lower unit when it told me to look for four bolts under the exhaust housing. Luckily I stopped and analyzed the situation. Whew. The deefective powerhead was a cinch after the first. Just waiting for parts. Wish me luck. Thanks for info guys. Caphank

caphank

Cadet

I finally finished the engine transplant and when I put the muffler on and started the engine it sound real good. This weekend I plan to test it out in the water. I'm bringing a timing light to set the timing and a voltmeter to read the charging voltage. Anything else I should bring? A couple of observation I noted while running the engine. When I rev it up I noticed a small mist of fuel coming from the upper jet screw(?) area. Is this normal? When I snychonize my linkages, should the motor be running? The manual doesn't really give me a starting point but, do I line up the cam to throttle lever first and then set idle screw or do I set the throttle cable adjsutment first? See...I'm confused. Thank for the help guys. Talk to you later. Caphank