New old stock johnson 150 ocean runner ois

Right wing

Recruit
I stumbled on an unused Johnson 150 Ocean runner 1996 model. it's been sitting in a warehouse for approximately 18 years collecting dust and paint overspray. The motor was bought as a back up but was never used.
I'm trying to get this motor ready to be rigged up to my 1850 seaswirl striper dual console. The boat currently has a Johnson 115 outboard crossflow 90? the 150 Ocean runner is a 60? looper with ois. I have read the forums and know to do the basics such as plugs wires thermostats, clean or rebuild carbs, gear oil. is there anything else I need to know about this motor? I read I need to make sure it has the updated fuel pump if I want to use the VRO type system, how can I tell if it has an updated fuel pump? Also the thermostats are white plastic type inserts that I'm not familiar with has this style been updated? Has the ois been updated?
Finally does anybody know of a good source where I can get the cables / controls to hook this motor up. it appears nothing will inter change with the 115 Johnson crossflow electronics on the boat now. I tried eBay but I've been unsuccessful so far. Thanks in advance
Joe
The Johnson 115 crossflow runs like a bat out of hell so I'm in no hurry to take it off my boat. I couldn't turn down an awesome old-school two-stroke.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
To your knowledge, has this motor ever been run or is it new out of the box ??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Call Bombardier and see if the serial number was ever registered in their computer system.. 262-884-5993 The control box main electrical cable ends changed to Deutch connectors in 1996, that's why they don't match up. You may be able to purchase an adapter connecting cable to get your old control box to work on the new engine-but some of the features (system check) of the new engine won't be available then. Check out this Bombardier adapter cable part number:176349.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The newest OMS pump will have 4 wires on it. That is what you should have. That motor will blow doors off your 115....

Right wing

Recruit
Thanks for the quick replies. emdsapmgr thanks for the information I will call the phone # u gave and find out if its been registered. My error, my boat and motor currently are 1996 vintage and have the systems check, maybe the wiring will work after all. The model number for the ocean runner is J150DEXEDB. Boobie I cant verify if the outboard is brand new or not, it still had a tag zip tied to the cylinder head. I'll attach a photo of the tag maybe will mean more to you than me. The motor certainly looks new the gear oil looks like honey without any foul burnt odor. The motor cost me 500.00 which included a 2nd lower unit which also looks new. I bought it from someone who knew nothing about boats / outboards.
My boat has a 20 inch transom and this motor is 25 inch shaft. Do you guys think it is foolish to use this motor with a riser or jack plate. Its a 1996 Seaswirl Striper DC rated for a 175 max HP. I cant afford a new outboard, and realize this deal was, a steal.

Right wing

Recruit
I could not upload the photo for the aforementioned tag, it read " 186159 POWERHEAD 150 HP" it was zip tied to the starboard cylinder head.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You will need to do the impeller too as since its being just sitting it will of set in a fixed position, it will also be likely to perish due to its age and fling bits into the motor blocking the little passages in the cooling passages.
You will need to do a break in period for it too............thats a small price to pay.
Also check the anodes are still there

Bosunsmate

Admiral
My boat has a 20 inch transom and this motor is 25 inch shaft. Do you guys think it is foolish to use this motor with a riser or jack plate. Its a 1996 Seaswirl Striper DC rated for a 175 max HP. I cant afford a new outboard, and realize this deal was, a steal.

Id go for a jack-plate, i use one on mine and it works great, im at max hp limit too.
Too right this seller didnt know about outboards, at that price id of started loading it in the car the moment i saw it

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can try various jack plates in order to adapt the XL engine to your L transom. It'll look odd for sure. Just make sure you've got enough height to run that engine so the lower is not dragging (too low) in the water. If it is mounted too low, you'll have way to much water spray from the lower-really affecting performance. Could be a great buy if the serial number/history check out. Bombardier should also tell you if it's been reported stolen-which is probably the most important reason for the call.

Right wing

Recruit
All good emdsapmgr I appreciate that, I didn't mention it was originally purchased by a local Sheriff's dept as a back up motor, It's not hot.
Pls confirm the annodes are exterior, just 2 total, 1 under the tilt / trim and 1 on the lower. I will certainly also install a new impeller.
As with any questionably cheap purchase of a boat or boat motor always call the local LE and have dispatch check ABS and APS (Automated Boating System and Automated Property System) by VIN or serial number They are both nationwide database in C.L.E.T.S. Better safe than sorry.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
For sure it's not hot if purchased by the local Sheriff's dept! One of the lower anodes bolts onto the carrier 431708-which has to be removed to install it. The trim tab itself is an anode 338742. There's the anode on the transom bracket 433580, and a large spray deflector 341359, usually found only on the XL midsections.