72 Johnson 85 HP reverse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 72 Johnson 85 HP reverse problem

Just a reminder to check operation of charging circuit and verify that when engine is running in neutral then shutoff, it doesn't pop into gear (indicitave of blown shift diodes.)<br /><br />(likely issues following reversal of battery connections)

youngdreams

Cadet

That was the first thing I had checked on my hunt for the problem, The diodes were still good and when I got her all together, everything worked great, even shifted better than before. the only thing I had forgot was to check the tach, so I hooked the ole hose up again and low and behold it worked also. I checked the charging circuit also with it running per the seloc book and all was correct, she was putting out the right voltage. Thanks again for all of your help, Im sure in time I will be asking for more advice on another problem that might pop up.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey youngdreams sounds like you are ready to grab a six pack and head for the lake. Glad you got it going, if you have problems jump back in here anytime. Don't forget when the bikinis are around don't let the better half catch ya looking ;)

smokeyutah

Recruit

hiya all im having same problem with my 85 hp johnson but when i hook up to muffs reverse works when in the river i put it in reverse it goes foward. I can still get to the fishing hole but could get into a bind

EBay has been my best source to find my hard to find parts for the same model. 85ESL 72R.
Also look up the CDI Electronics equivalent part number they have seemed to be the only type of parts I could find sometimes.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We do not reply to 12 year old posts - 3 months is the limit. Read the Help Tip on top of the page. Also look at the rules

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.