Motor missing at WOT

wili

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2001 J40JPLSIA taht is missing at WOT. Will start and idle fine but when I give it throttle it starts missing and sometimes die. I have used CDI troublshooting guide, Ohms on the coils checked out. I checked resistance on the power pack but the color codes did not match on the CDI troubleshooting guide. DVA out of all powerpacks will go up to 230 but will not go any higher. Shouldnt the voltage keep increasing with the rpm. If so what to do next?

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Do a cylinder drop test on it to see if you can nail it down to one cylinder.

wili

Seaman Apprentice
I put a timing light on each plug and am getting the miss on all cylinders.

wili

Seaman Apprentice
That was on my list but I hate just replacing parts. Is the power pack what increases the voltage as the rpms increase?

wili

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have any other suggestions to try to determine if it is in fact a power pack without just replacing?

wili

Seaman Apprentice
Are you saying to move the stator one bolt hole in either direction? That is the only thing I see about the stator besides visually inspecting it.

So far I have checked resistance per CDI, all ok.....Checked DVA on orange wires from powerpack to coil 220-230 volts depending on RPM's.....Disconnected yellow wires still had miss.

wili

Seaman Apprentice
I have rebuild carbs. I am not a mechanic but with checking each cyl with a timing light and getting a miss on each cyl I dont think a drop test will tell me anything since I have proven it is common to all cyl.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I have rebuild carbs. I am not a mechanic but with checking each cyl with a timing light and getting a miss on each cyl I dont think a drop test will tell me anything since I have proven it is common to all cyl.

Are you sure that what you are seeing with the timing light is not caused from a miss from the carbs?

wili

Seaman Apprentice
No the slow isn't on, at least I dont believe, I am getting above 5000 RPM.

Could the carbs show black spots on the timing light?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No the slow isn't on, at least I dont believe, I am getting above 5000 RPM.

Could the carbs show black spots on the timing light?
If the engine is misfiring/lean sneezing around then, then yes in my opinion

wili

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I will do a drop test when I can get it out again and let you know what I find.

daselbee

Commander
If the engine is misfiring/lean sneezing around then, then yes in my opinion

No, carbs cannot cause the ignition system to misfire, as in the spark is nonexistant or at the wrong time....no.
Consider a properly working ignition system, the flywheel is still turning, the TB is picking up pulses, the pack is triggering on those pulses, and the spark plugs are firing. Carbs cannot affect that process.

If you have no fuel at all, if you have excessive fuel, etc., then the cylinder will not fire - burn - it's fuel air charge properly but the spark will always be there at the right time, whether the fuel/air charge burns properly or not.
Again,,,,that is on a properly operating ignition system.

wili

Seaman Apprentice
So where should I go from here? My thought is to pull the flywheel and inspect stator, triger etc.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No, carbs cannot cause the ignition system to misfire, as in the spark is nonexistant or at the wrong time....no.
Consider a properly working ignition system, the flywheel is still turning, the TB is picking up pulses, the pack is triggering on those pulses, and the spark plugs are firing. Carbs cannot affect that process.

If you have no fuel at all, if you have excessive fuel, etc., then the cylinder will not fire - burn - it's fuel air charge properly but the spark will always be there at the right time, whether the fuel/air charge burns properly or not.
Again,,,,that is on a properly operating ignition system.

If the plugs are really wet the plug wont fire and itl show up as a dark spot on the timing light.
If another cylinder runs lean and backfires that could cause a hesitation in the CD and lead to a no spark too
Happy to be wrong but just like to make sure i am as id say the above would cause a blackspot on a timing light due to a fuel/carb issue which was what the question was

daselbee

Commander
No still don't agree. That high voltage pulse in the spark plug wire is there, no matter if the plug is wet or not. If it is WET with gas, it may not make a spark, but that HV pulse that triggers the light still occurred.