Evin. 1966 18hp elect. start wiring harness

adam246

Cadet
Hi I'm wondering if I can find a new or remanufactured wiring harness that goes from the thing (looks like a solenoid?)that is hooked between the battery and the electric starter switch to the engine on my boat. The engine is a 1966 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin. I believe it's got 5 wires in it altogether - 1 end has a fitting on it that plugs into the front of the outboard and the other end splits into the 5 diff. wires that are fastened onto what appears to be that solenoid. The wiring is just getting really old - insulation flaking etc. - thanks for any light you could shed on this - JIM Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Evin. 1966 18hp elect. start wiring harness

Hi, I think your best bet would be is to go and get the wire and cut and replace your old ones one by one. I don't believe a replacement harness is available. Good Luck !<br /> :confused: Hey I've got a guestion for you, how is your kill switch hooked up? We have a 66 18hp also. We have 2 wires coming off switch then it branches off of each wire, two go to the magneto (I think) and the other two are just laying there connected to nothing. Is yours like that?<br /> Thanks and Good Luck :D <br />PS Good luck with a manuals they don't show any electricals for 18 and under(well at least the Clymer B734)

adam246

Cadet

I could just replace it wire by wire BUT what I was really hoping to get was that connector/harness piece that runs into the engine - it fits loose (just worn essentially) and falls out fairly often.<br />As to the kill switch (saw your other post re: that too!), I'll take a look when I go home this PM. I just re-wired all of that last week but the wire colors and what ran exactly where escapes me. I do know that I have 1 black wire from that harness that isn't hooked up to anything on thta starter switch/kill switch end. I'll let you know what I find...JIM

adam246

Cadet

re: the CLymer manual - I just found this in an old post here....<br /><br />"Go to your local boat store and buy a copy of the Clymer "Evinrude/Johnson Outboard Shop Manual 1.5-125 HP 1956-1972"<br /><br />On page 354 is the diagram that matches your engine. The caption says 35 hp, but the 18 hp option was the same."