TILT ONLY WIRING DIAGRAM

57 7.5

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1972 125 HP Evinrude that had a tilt system attached. I'm not sure how to wire this to the switch that's on my boat that was for the previous 71 force T/T. I've looked for wiring diagrams with no luck only find T/T systems with relays which there were no relays with this one nor was there any for the previous unit. I don't know if it works but was told did when it was put into storage 30 yrs ago. Not sure of the make and model (can't find anything anywhere that is visible) or the wires from the motor (been since fall that I looked at them). Believe there were 3 maybe 4 but not sure and not sure of the color of the wires. Will get that later, the system is painted white and looks origina, could be OMC.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Unless you can get a copy of an original service manual, you'll probably have to improvise. You may find the original factory parts list helpful in terms of just what the electrical components are, but it does not show the wiring diagram... check this website: epc.brp.com Look in the "parts and accessories" section, not the engine sections.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The wiring for the tilt only system is pure simplicity. A "hot" wire goes to the center terminal of the SPST toggle switch. The other two terminals on the switch go to the tilt motor. If memory serves correctly, green is up and blue is down. But if that's backwards, reverse them. There probably is a ground wire at the motor also.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't flog me if I get this wrong, but here is what I have for Evinrude trim wiring, don't know what year it's from
Evinrude Trim_wiring.JPG

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
P-TILTWIRING.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I know that solenoids were added at some point, but did the 1972 have one? I thought it was direct wired from the toggle switch. But I could be wrong.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Here is 1970 version. No solenoid/relay.....yet 48. Power Tilt Kit 85, 115hp.jpg

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Correct BUT the solenoid makes for a better arrangement.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you have the PROPER switch that will take the amp draw you don't need the solenoid.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Joe, the solenoid is better, that's why OMC later used them. Well, at the expense of more complicated system. On the other hand, they could use lighter gauge wires and not so tough on the switch. I guess it is a trade-off of sorts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Lighter gauge wires ?? Please explain.

Lighter gauge wires from battery to switch, and back to solenoid because the solenoid coil draws very little current. On the other hand, without a solenoid the full motor current goes to the switch and back. Also, the motor draws more current with the added load while going up, hense the need for only one solenoid. But I hasten to add, I don't know if they actually did use lighter wires---just that they could. In any case, there is less voltage drop from the battery to the tilt motor with the solenoid arrangement.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The later power trim/tilt units draw more current in the out (up) movement when the engine is under load/on plane. This is the early "tilt" only and it's job is merely to lift the engine when at the dock or when stopped for fishing. Should be ok with the proper switch (only.) Checked a few years of tilt kits. Up through the 1986 model year, OMC never used a solenoid on any of the "tilt" kits.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I think the guy has it by now. If it'll make anyone happy, I can delete the wiring diagram. Geeez!

57 7.5

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Will get on this, this weekend as it is supposed to be in the 50s finally.

Willyclay

Captain
You could not have a better group of forum gurus posting in your thread. I always pay attention when they post. I was curious about the wiring diagram F_R posted because 30 years ago I purchased OMC Power Tilt Kit No. 382713 for my old V4 Johnson but the installation instructions did not include a wiring diagram. F_R's appears to match my kit. I scanned and saved my installation instructions (eight pages) which does include a section on testing and trouble-shooting of the tilt system. If you would like a copy, PM me with your email address and I will reply with the copies attached.