Recirc valves on 2000 Johnson 200hp

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Renaming this post, beacuse nobody seems to be responding to the previous one that I opened, except OBJ, and I need a quick answer. OBJ told me how to locate the recirc valves by following the lines back to the intake, but I need to know how to identify the lines. Would they be the 3 lines running to the port side of the motor at the intake? It looks like there are 3 lines running to the intake with a small fitting at the end going into intake, is this the valve? It seems like it is considering there is 3, one for each crank bearing, is this correct? Refer to post," PM on Johnson 200", thanks in advance.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Recirc valves on 2000 Johnson 200hp

search for post by Walker member 11282. There is photo of 4 cylinder system.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks alot for replying clanton, I really appreciate it, but I can't seem to find that post, I found a bunch more that Walker has chimed in on but not that, guess I'll keep looking maybe I just haven't come across it yet. Thanks again, Mike.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sorry I was so vague mm....to find the recirc vlvs., right in the middle of the intake manifold you should see the small recirc hoses going to the small needle point recirc vlvs. There will be one for each reed cage chamber. I'll see if I can locate that drawing for ya' when I get home. I believe they are all in the middle of the intake manifold.<br /><br />Jim

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

OBJ and clanton, thanks alot. I was pretty sure I was looking at the right hoses, 3 on the port side of the intake connected to what looks like brass fittings(valves)in the intake. Those are the only ones that I see, I don't see any on the starboard side of the intake, so I'm assuming that there are only 3 reed chambers on this motor, correct? I'm gonna go ahead and pull these lines and clean the valves out. Can I use carb cleaner or does it have to be alcohol and what do I seal them back in with? OBJ you mentioned some gel seal, what is this and where can I get it? A picture would still be great, maybe I will e-mail you for one clanton. Thanks again guys, Mike.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Walker. So should I just follow the hoses back from the brass hose nipples at the cylinders to find the recirc valves? Do they go bad or just need to be cleaned? How many should there be for a 200hp, 6? What should I clean them out with and what should I use to reseal them? Sorry for the questions but I'm gonna do this tommorrow and the motors are 2000's and I know for a fact that the recirc's have never been taken out and cleaned in the 4 years of it's life, and I want to get it done and do it right. Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The manual says to take them out and shoot isopherol, isosomething, rubbing alcolhol through them. They got little screens on the back side that can clog with carbon and plug them up. I usually shoot carb cleaner through them if the alcohol isn't handy. You should be able to blow one way through them and not the other. When you replace them, put a little Gel Seal around the threads or a little gasket sealing compound. There should be 6 valves to clean.

Walker

Captain

I tried to clean mine with very limited success. I got 2 cleaned and working properly but 2 had to be replaced. Also make sure and check the 2 items I have circled on my other post. The bottom one is a one way inline valve that should only flow in the direction of the arrow. The top one is just a nipple and should be free flowing both ways. Don't pull the nipple out, just get a syringe and push alcohol in, then draw air back out.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks alot guys, I'm pretty clear on it now. Just a couple of quick things, as far as sealing the recircs back in, I'm not familiar with Gel Seal but I have plenty of silicone gasket sealant, is this O.K.? Also should I be able to get to these things pretty easy without taking the carbs off? Can I clean the other 2 items(the top nipple and the one way valve) with carb cleaner or alcohol as well? Thanks again, Mike.

Walker

Captain

I got to all mine with the carbs on. 1/4 drill socket set, 6" extension. Yes you can clean everything with alcohol. 10" needlenose help get the hoses back on.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

mm...DO NOT use silicon. Won't last and you take the chance of plugging somethin' up with the stuff. Use a lite coat of gasket sealing compound. Just a touch to seal the threads. If the valves are in a place you can get to so they can be put back in without crossthreading, you should be OK.

Walker

Captain

Gel Seal= Loctite #518 or Permatex #51813

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks OBJ and Walker, you answered all my questions and now I'm clear on it. Going out to start doing it now. Thanks again for the help, Mike.

Walker

Captain

Yep, that will work. Darn big tube for such a small job, but I've never seen it in a small tube since loctite sold out.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Walker I appreciate it. Having a little trouble finding this stuff around, but I'll keep looking. Found this new Gel Twist threadlocker and was gonna try that, but I'll look for the right stuff first. Thanks again, Mike.<br /><br />Gel Twist:<br /><br /> http://www.permatex.com/geltwist/geltwist.htm

Walker

Captain

I doubt that stuff is rated for what you want. <br />Teflon tape will work though. Just make sure not to let any of it extend past the threads into the engine side.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Teflon tape has clogged more systems (any system) with fittings than anything else available...Use the correct sealer.