1995 evinrude 88 special problems

MDeVito

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am having problems with my outboard losing power. It is even having a hard time pulling a skiier. I only have a 17 foot boat that weighs about 800 lbs. Even when not pulling skiier and just running you can hear change in tone from motor. And the speed at about 4800 rpm varies when weight or load stays the same. What can i try/check.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 evinrude 88 special problems

Hi MDeVito, sorry to hear about your recent malady. Let's start with basics.<br /><br />Are you sure the engine wasn't over heating? If you have flushettes or some call them muffs, run the engine at idle. You should be able to lay your fingers on the flat place ontop of the block in front of each head for several seconds without moving them.<br /><br />Fuel delivery. What kind of shape is the hoses in? Connections nice and tight with clamps? Check for lose connections or fuel lines that have grown stiff have lost their flex. Make sure the fuel tank is venting good. I you have an inline fuel filter, change it out. And don't forget about the filter at the fuel pump. Remove the black cover and check the fine mesh screen inside it is clean.<br /><br />If satisfied with the fuel delivery....get a compresson test. All cylinders should be within 10 to 15% of each other. If they are stretched out a little further than this, do a decarb and take the compression again.<br /><br />Ignition system. How old are the spark plugs? Take a spark test. Rig a spark tester with a 1/2" gap. The spark from the spark plug wire from each cylinder should jump this gap with a strong hot white spark.<br /><br />Is 4800rpm your WOT rpm? If so, seems a little low. I believe the operating range is between 5k and 55k on your engine. (I think) Hopefully one of the other guys will set me straight on this.<br /><br />Well...the above should give you a few things to look at. A cold one while working always makes things better. Keep us posted on what ya find. One more question....when was the last time you had a complete tuneup?