'97 Evinrude 50hp - Water emitting from shift rod location

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got my 50hp '97 Evinrude back together after replacing a piston and the rings.

I started it up for the first time now with ear muffs while on the trailer. I paid attention to water bubbling up above the lower unit at the shift rod. Is this an indication of water pump seal / grommet problem? I may just be overly cautious after my performing this major repair - while operating the motor, I thought I observed a momentary loss of flow out of the tell tale and scrambled to secure the ear muffs, then closely looked at this anomaly.

Attachments

• photo214988.jpg
    photo214988.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ALSO - does some exhaust come out of the tell tale? I saw some.

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess that side of the motor is called the water passage - not exhaust manifold.

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been reading around, and I think my broken ear muffs are causing my observations. Due to corrosion, the spring action of the muffs was lost so I kinda bunjied the muffs around the lower unit - not a good sealed fit. I think I have a real poor water supply to the intakes, and the exhaust that I see from the tell tale is just back pressure from the water into the exhaust.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Why not take it to the lake and test it and see if it overheats ??

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
not worried about overheating so much as water getting in a cylinder. But the lake test is upcoming. :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The leak out of the seam where the gearcase bolts up is absolutely normal, in fact intentional. Exhaust out the tell-tale is not.......but it could be because of the muffs.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The leak out of the seam where the gearcase bolts up is absolutely normal, in fact intentional. Exhaust out the tell-tale is not.......but it could be because of the muffs.
ITYWF thatbthe arrows in the OP's photo point to where the shift rod should pass through a grommet in the top of the "foot" part of the exhaust housing not to the joint between the gear case and the exhaust housing.

I guess the grommet is damaged or missing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
ITYWF thatbthe arrows in the OP's photo point to where the shift rod should pass through a grommet in the top of the "foot" part of the exhaust housing not to the joint between the gear case and the exhaust housing.

I guess the grommet is damaged or missing.

How about it, OP? Which is it? It looks to me like one of your arrows are pointing to the drain notch in front. Even if there is some leakage through the grommet, it wouldn't be causing exhaust to blow out the tell tale. If it were completely missing, it might affect the exhaust temperatures some. I dunno, I've never left one out to find out.

nwcove

Admiral
it is hard to tell from the pic, but does look like a small stream coming from the shift rod grommet area. my first though was that the op was running full hose pressure through the muffs, forcing water out of any where it could escape, but dunno about the smoke from the tell tale.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Ok, after I look at the picture for the umpteenth time, I agree It is not coming from the seam as I at first thought. But I still don't think it is causing smoke to come out the tell tale.

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How about it, OP? Which is it? It looks to me like one of your arrows are pointing to the drain notch in front. Even if there is some leakage through the grommet, it wouldn't be causing exhaust to blow out the tell tale. If it were completely missing, it might affect the exhaust temperatures some. I dunno, I've never left one out to find out.

The water coming up from the shift rod location. The port at the seam is lower, just above the anti-cavitation plate.