Ken Cook's Service Manuals

pbukowski

Cadet
I recently acquired an old 1984 Evinrude outboard. I wanted to do most of my own work, so after reading the various posts on the board, everyone recommends getting the Ken Cook service manuals to help facilitate repairs.<br /><br />Well, there were 4 manuals listed for my motor, so not wanting to miss out on any info, I ordered all 4, for almost $100, after factoring in shipping costs.<br /><br />Just received the manuals as promised. I was expecting some thick books, describing the disassembly of the motors various parts. <br /><br />I'm quite dissappointed, as the manuals only provide blow-up diagrams of how the parts are interconnected. They also include part numbers, as well as an owners manual. This may be quite useful. However, I was expecting written instructions on performing various tasks, such as rebuilding carbs and replacing impellers.<br /><br />These tasks may be self explanatory to some people, but the repair books I've used over the years, such as Haynes, describe step by step details and sequences.<br /><br />Why are people recommending these service manuals ? Am I missing something here.<br /><br />This note is not meant to bash Ken Cook's products, as I apparently received what I ordered, it was just not what I expected.<br /><br />Just rebuilt my carb's and still don't know where some of the pieces in the rebuild kit are supposed to go. Extra parts, oh boy ! :mad: <br /><br />Paul

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ken Cook's Service Manuals

Paul - You are to be commended for at least buying a manual (s). Unfortunately a lot of guys buy or acquire these older motors and don't want to spring for the manuals.<br /><br />It pays both in the long run and the short to buy the factory OMC manuals specific for your motor. Most will have in addition to the owners manual, a shop manual and a parts manual.The shop manual has all the written procedures for testing and repair plus diagrams and photographs. The parts manual has detail parts explosion diagrams with OMC parts list and part numbers.<br /><br />I have a couple of the Clymer, Solec (but no Cook). They either are to general or cover such a wide series of models that it is difficult to figgure out wht applies to my problem with my motor. I got my last set of OMC manuals for my 1987 SeaDrives here but there are a number of places that they are available:<br /><br /> http://www.theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/parts_service_and_owners_manuals.html

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'd get in touch with those folks 'cause somethin's wrong. Sounds like they shorted you a manual or you ordered wrong. One of them should have been a shop manual with a hundred or so pages giving detailed written instructions, how-to fotos, wiring diagram(s) and specifications.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Did a search on Ken cook´s page , looking for your ?? engine 1984 90hp ??<br />Found only :<br />
  • <br />
  • 174182 Accessory Parts Catalog $20.00 <br />
  • 209881 Owners Manual $20.00 <br />
  • 394680 Parts Catalog $20.00 <br />
  • 983694 Parts Catalog Set <br />
<br />Could not find any Service manuals for 1983/84 90hp<br />But I found an manual for the 1984 100 hp maybe this one would work ?<br />
  • <br />
  • 394608 Service Manual- $40.00 ( 1984 E100WMLCR )<br />
<br />or this one ,1985 90hp<br />
  • <br />
  • 507508 Service Manual Set $70.00 ( 1985 E90MLCO )<br />
<br />Don´t know if they are usable but ....