1973 9.5 Evinrude question

rhcavender

Recruit
I have a 73 9.5 Evinrude that has new points and condenser, new coils and carb work on it. I was told that the magnets in the flywheel wouldn't hold a bolt. I still runs rough and misses even after all the work. I have been told conflicting things concerning the flywheel. One fellow I know has worked on motors for over 40 years and told me that he has never seen a flywheel go bad, however, even after replacing all these parts with new ones it still does not run right. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Outboard flywheels made since WWII have Alnico magnets in them. You would have to run it through a blast furnace to damage one. Look for another cause of your performance problem. How about exhaust smoke getting under the hood?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The guy that told you about the flywheel is correct. Now, what is it doing for you to say it's not running correct ?? Need a better description ??

rhcavender

Recruit
The guy that told you about the flywheel is correct. Now, what is it doing for you to say it's not running correct ?? Need a better description ??

I am losing a cylinder. It runs very rough and misses and runs half the power of a 9.5. Also, compression is from 55-60.

rhcavender

Recruit
I noticed I said that the magnets would hold a bolt, but actually meant wouldn't hold a bolt. Sorry for the confusion.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As stated very clearly the magnets do not go bad.---What kind of bolt will not hold on it , stainless perhaps ?----Magnets are only in one spot on that flywheel.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
At 55psi, that motor needs help. You need to decide whether to continue. A powerhead rebuild on that model is not for the average bear.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check the plug wires for cracks where they exit the magneto plate.--Check your compression tester as 55 PSI is an indication of " trouble " in the powerhead.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Try a different compression tester. I have four of them and if I check the same cylinder on the same motor I can get four different readings.

nwcove

Admiral
im with the other posts...re-check that compression with one or more testers. you may be beating a dead sea horse.

nwcove

Admiral
im with the other posts...re-check that compression with one or more testers. you may be beating a dead sea horse.

rhcavender

Recruit
Ok guys, rechecked compression. I am getting 67 on one and 71 on the other. Checked it with two different testers.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That's better. Now if you are confident about the ignition, have you considered the spark plugs? Have you considered water may be getting into that missing cylinder? And finally, how about the smoke question?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Be sure the coils are aligned with the bosses on the stator plate.
A decarb treatment with something like SeaFoam may improve the compression numbers.
Sometimes if water is getting in a cylinder the plug will be exceptionally clean.
Is the stator stable?