1964 evinrude starflight 90s shorten the shaft

cowherd

Seaman
i am looking at a evenrude 90s for my 1958 trojan sea breeze wooden boat that i am restoring. I noticed that it has a extension on the leg witch probely makes it a 20" shaft what could I do to make it a 15" shaft? becides take the extension out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You'll need a different driveshaft, water tubes and shift rod. The water tubes and shift rods may have extensions on them already so you just remove them and get the shift connector for the short shaft.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yes, if you are real lucky, it may have the extension kit in it. But much more likely it is a factory long shaft and you will have to replace the parts. However, it is an Electric Shift motor and there is no shift rod. The Electric cable to the lower unit fits both long and short shaft models. Replacing the water tubes is a major problem, but you can cut 5 inches off the originals. The secret is to use a compact tubing cutter to get up inside the exhaust housing to do it.

cowherd

Seaman
Could take the drive shaft to machine shop and have it cut and 're splined

yorab

Ensign
No Title

If the cutter is compact enough, just like in FR's pic, you can actually get it up in there and it will make a complete revolution without hitting the walls.

Attachments

• photo88453.jpg
    photo88453.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0

cowherd

Seaman
Well got motor home and on the stand and lower unit is frozen don't know weather to tear it a part to see why or just look for a short shaft lower unit

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You mean frozen like stuck with rust, or frozen like ice water? If rust, it is junk. If water, it will be junk once it does it's job creating rust.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Warm the lower unit.--Then drain the lower unit.---Fill the lower unit with oil ( even old 10w-30 ) to prevent major rusting.

nwcove

Admiral
You mean frozen like stuck with rust, or frozen like ice water? If rust, it is junk. If water, it will be junk once it does it's job creating rust.

would be nice to have a glossary of terms,...... frozen, wont crank, wont roll etc etc have many different geographical meanings. in my location, frozen means ice, wont crank means when you turn the key nothing happens etc. in other locales, those terms mean something totally different.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
When you're in the South, "won't crank" means "won't start". The "foot' is the lower unit. The "fan" is the prop. But I love it here and would never go back to Yankee land. And. The people are Great !! :joyous:

Last edited:

cowherd

Seaman
I got it home and on the stand, took hood off and grabed the fly wheel to turn but would only turn about a half of a inch back forth. The prop will not turn, but with my foot on the prop and turn the flywheel back and forth I can feel it in the prop. it should be in neutral with no electrical hooked to it right?