1999 Johnson 50hp outboard cut off and wont restart. Ground issue???

midland2050

Recruit
I have a I have a 1999 50hp Johnson outboard. It has new spark plugs, new fuel line and primer bulb from tank to motor, new battery, and will start and run, however It cut off wile idling on the lake the other day and wont start back. Seems carbs are not getting fuel as it will not even start on starting fluid. could it be a ground issue? if so where are the grounding terminals on the motor.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard there midland2050 :welcome: great having you join us.

First thing you stated that you didn't think it was getting gas and then followed that up with I ever tried to start using starter fluid. So that eliminates the gas issue right there. Otherwise you should have heard it fire up if only for a few seconds. However, before going any further, don't use starter fluid on any 2 cycle engine. And the reason is every internal part in a 2 cycle engine gets its lubrication from the fuel/oil mixture. So when you spray straight starter fluid, it not only runs without any oil to lube the bearings and such, but it also washed out any oil that was in those parts. A big No NO :nono:

There could be any number of reasons it is not starting. First, did you by accident pull the kill switch lanyard out? I know, but some times we over look things. How about not having it in neutral properly? There is a neutral safety switch that will keep if from cranking unless it is in neutral properly and not on the edge of neutral. If those are good then yes even a bad ground is possible. But the fact that it was running fine and just stopped is curious to me. Is it still cranking without starting? If yes then that would pretty much verifies a good ground and battery connetion...to the starter anyways. It also could be your ignition system went south. Check for spark at each plug. If there is good spark, then it either is a timing issue, or your are not getting gas like you originally suspected. Can you prime the fuel bulb without any problems? Does it stay firm after priming? can you take the fuel line off from the carb(s) and verify the fuel pump is pumping? If all those things check out good, look into carb(s)... JMHO without being there and testing things for myself...

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Your spark should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester. Also check your compression.

Last edited: