70 hp Johnson Re-Locating WP Indicator to top of motor?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I always follow this write up that has a service bulletin in it
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ng-a-tell-tale

Its a 3cylinder n the photos too before they show it on a v4 too.
Im not a fan of the loop over as i dont think that removes air bubbles trapped in the roof of the water cavities. I think it drains better too from something ive read, i do hear the water pour out when i turn the motor off now

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
I always follow this write up that has a service bulletin in it
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ng-a-tell-tale

Its a 3cylinder n the photos too before they show it on a v4 too.
Im not a fan of the loop over as i dont think that removes air bubbles trapped in the roof of the water cavities. I think it drains better too from something ive read, i do hear the water pour out when i turn the motor off now

Thanks for your response.
I've read that post and looked at all the pictures a few times. Still, I don't see that any of them drilled where the SB says to drill. According to the SB the hole should be to the left side of the motor not in the middle. That's where I got confused. Look at the #1 picture in the Service Bulletin and the marks relation to the center of the motor? What do you think?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Thanks for your response.
I've read that post and looked at all the pictures a few times. Still, I don't see that any of them drilled where the SB says to drill. According to the SB the hole should be to the left side of the motor not in the middle. That's where I got confused. Look at the #1 picture in the Service Bulletin and the marks relation to the center of the motor? What do you think?

Which service bulletin, the one i included or the one posted earlier?
I know why i wouldnt put it in the middle but i just want to check what you mean

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Just had a re-read, I get what you mean, yep they havent followed instructions.
I didnt either. The reason i didnt is that i had the head off when i did mine as i was cleaning out the galleries.
Whys that important.... Its because i could then see how deep to drill, drilling in the centre is where the cylinder wall is closest to the top of the crankcase and thus if you go off to the left or right you would be much less likely to drill into it, something which would make me cringe at the very least.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The service bulletin is very , very clear on how to do this !!!!--The measurements are clearly shown !!!---The procedure is outlined in the text as well.----Not sure why this is causing confusion for some folks.-Study the bulletin / pictures and text before you do anything.--Goes along with the what the carpenter said.----" measure twice and cut once "-----The drilling is done into the waterjacket above the exhaust manifold !

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
The service bulletin is very , very clear on how to do this !!!!--The measurements are clearly shown !!!---The procedure is outlined in the text as well.----Not sure why this is causing confusion for some folks.-Study the bulletin / pictures and text before you do anything.--Goes along with the what the carpenter said.----" measure twice and cut once "-----The drilling is done into the waterjacket above the exhaust manifold !

Racer,

The confusion exists because several threads here and on other sites show the hole drilled in the center of the motor right behind the thermostat housing. That's why I thought I needed to remove the lifting hook. But, upon further review, that's not where the SB says to drill. I guess we like to look at pictures rather than read or measure ;).
I'll post a picture of the mark I make prior to drilling.
thanks again

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Id use the plastic tee too so you dont get oxidisation. I got one from a dealer for $1.80, he said it was the cheapest part hes ever sold

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No---You simply remove the fitting from the side of the block and install it at the top !----Then install a pipeplug on the side of the block.

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Id use the plastic tee too so you dont get oxidisation. I got one from a dealer for $1.80, he said it was the cheapest part hes ever sold

A plastic one came with the ($65) OMC water pump kit. I'll use it.
Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No---You simply remove the fitting from the side of the block and install it at the top !----Then install a pipeplug on the side of the block.
Ive found those fittings to be very brittle after being there for such a long time, i just plug them with heat resistant epoxy or put a screw into a short length of the outlet pipe.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????---------The service bulletin is very clear on what to do !!

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
?????---------The service bulletin is very clear on what to do !!

No its not, follow the SB visual diagrams photos and you would be drilling into the exhaust housing.

Two Rivers is being very diligent in pointing it out, seems that those dope heads who wrote it werent so switched on at all, im impressed the guy is double checking everything.

Probably an aeronautical engineer or something, who knows but i respect his thoroughness

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????----This service bulletin has been around for some 20 years and the factory knows what needs to be done !!-------I have done this modification and the service bulletin is correct.!------Bosun , have you followed the instructions in this bulletin and did you run into a problem ??

Bosunsmate

Admiral
?????----This service bulletin has been around for some 20 years and the factory knows what needs to be done !!-------I have done this modification and the service bulletin is correct.!------Bosun , have you followed the instructions in this bulletin and did you run into a problem ??

The problem is the photo instructions dont match the written instructions.
Have a look, fig2 would have someone drilling in the exhaust housing instead of the top of the crankcase
http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=9286913

No problem with mine, im glad i did it, i thought i was chasing gremlins with an overheating problem until i did it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry mate, the instructions are perfect and put this new outlet at the top of the water jacket as the factory intended.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Correct. That location is in the water jacket above the exhaust cavity, not into the exhaust cavity itself...

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Racer, Not trying to give you another headache today but I'd appreciate you guys taking a look at these photos and let me know if you think I'm on the right course?
This will be the first time drilling a hole in my motor so naturally I'm a little anxious. If I get it right I won't be so nervous next time. If I screw it up, I'll learn from it. Just trying to improve my odds.
Thanks to all who responded.

Attachments

• photo214865.jpg
    photo214865.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 5
  • photo214866.jpg
    photo214866.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo214867.jpg
    photo214867.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo214868.jpg
    photo214868.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Go ahead and drill right at the X marked.-Put some tape on the drill bit so that there is no chance of drilling too far as per the SB.