Tell tale question for 1991 175hp

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
I got my new motor bolted up and started today. When I first started it, I noticed that there was a hose running up the inside side of the starboard head, however it was't connected to anything and squirting water everywhere. I looked for a fitting anywhere on the head where it might connect but didn't find one so I removed the "tee" which was where the water exits through the hole in the cowling. As I ran it more, I noticed that the starboard head was way hotter than the port. So much so that I shut the engine off. I'm getting plenty of water out of the indicator and the port head is cool, but not the starboard head. I was thinking maybe thermostat or deflector, but after I looked at the diagram on shop evinrude, it shows that there is another hose that comes off off the tell tale and runs up the starboard head, however, I can't find where it connects. Can anyone shed some light on this? This is a 25" shaft motor. (J175TXGEB) Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Am thinking that your model number may actually read: J175TXCEB, which would make this a 1989 model big bore bubble back crossflow. Each head has it's own thermostat, so each head should be equally cool. I'd get into the thermostat housing on the starboard head for sure. May be a stuck thermostat. For good measure replace them both, so you know the other one won't fail next year at some, usually inconvenient time. My 1990 factory manual pictures the telltale hose running up and over the powerhead, then down to connect to the telltale nozzle in the lower cowling. With that arrangement, the block will fill with water before it starts to come out of the telltale.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the reply. That's interesting about the tell tale, because I have a smaller hose that come out of the center of the bubble back to the fitting at the tell tale which is a "tee" fitting. From the other side of that fitting there's a larger hose that runs up and was not connected to anything which is why it was squirting a ton of water everywhere. Where does this second hose connect? I'm not seeing where it leads to in any of the diagrams. Btw, I'll be getting thermostats for sure! Thank you

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The factory parts diagram are at this website: epc.brp.com It will show the parts system on your engine, but not how it connects together. Again, the factory service manual is vague. A black and white picture only. My 83 bubble back has the same hose barb which feeds the telltale system. I have my dash water pressure gauge hooked direct to that hose barb-eliminating the telltale.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Where does the larger hose, that runs up the starboard head, hook into on your motor near the top of the head? I'm wondering if this is why the head on this side is getting hot. I removed the hose and the tee because the hose had been cut near the top cylinder and was just spraying water anywhere. I can't find anywhere that a cooling hose would connect to. The parts diagrams shows the hose and the tee fitting, but does not show where the hose runs to. Its just shows the holders for the hose along the starboard head, but not where the hose goes or hooks into. Sorry if this is confusing!

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so now I understand that the tell tale hose is supposed to run up and over the starboard head to help with air bubbles. What I don't understand, is that that tee fitting was there near the lower outlet? Why not just run the tell tale hose from the bubble back, up and over the head and out the bottom of the cowling? Why is there a tee fitting near the tell tale outlet??