Rude 9.9 prop

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1975 Evinrude 9.9?..I have two questions about the prop. Took prop off to clean things up and I noticed where the prop goes against the thrust bearing (bushing) that it seems that it is made out of rubber which is deteriorating. Was wondering if I should scrape it all out and put a rubber washer in it?s place or just leave it alone? (See attached photo)

Question 2?.Service manual says to coat propeller shaft splines with OMC gasket sealing compound before installing the prop. I have always used just marine grease but after reading this in the manual can I use ?Permatex Non-Hardening Gasket Sealant 2A??

Thank you for any advice

Attachments

• photo214660.jpg
    photo214660.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
1975 Evinrude 9.9…..I have two questions about the prop. Took prop off to clean things up and I noticed where the prop goes against the thrust bearing (bushing) that it seems that it is made out of rubber which is deteriorating. Was wondering if I should scrape it all out and put a rubber washer in it’s place or just leave it alone? (See attached photo)

Question 2….Service manual says to coat propeller shaft splines with OMC gasket sealing compound before installing the prop. I have always used just marine grease but after reading this in the manual can I use “Permatex Non-Hardening Gasket Sealant 2A”?

Thank you for any advice

That's part or the prop hub and it will go through the center of the prop, don't dig it out.

I to have always just used grease, the issue is you want something there so it doesn't corrode and then get stuck on the prop shaft. Just my opinion

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I've always just used OMC Triple Guard Grease. What service manual do you have ??

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Thank you for the info AllDodge and boobie. I will just use grease also. The manual is the 1974 Evinrude Service Manual (page 6-18). See attached photo. Even though my motor is a 1975, I believe the 74 thru 76 ?9.9? motors would be about the same service manual.

Attachments

• photo214758.jpg
    photo214758.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
My '98 service manual says to use OMC Triple Guard Grease. Oh well I guess things change. The grease is easier to wipe off.