2002 Johnson 9.9 4 stroke Electric Choke

ericdraven

Cadet
Getting ready for spring. I would like to fix my electric choke.
My electric choke is a steel plunger that inserts into an electrical donut with a spring or wire that attaches to the flapper. This spring/wire has broken and I can't find any information on this electric choke. I have the parts manual and a service manual for this motor but there is no information on an electric choke.
From what I have seen so far, this motor may have been built by Suzuki for this year when Johnson switched to 4 stroke motors. So maybe the choke was pulled off of a Suzuki outboard.
Does anyone have any history on this Johnson motor or information on the electric choke for this motor. This little spring should be available if I could find a part number for it. I will try to put a picture up tonight of the part I am looking for.
Thank you very much.
Jim

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Jim, If you really think that the 2002 9.9 HP Johnson electric choke system is a Suzuki copy, look at some Suzuki engine break downs and see if those parts look the same. If so, buy what you need from them and install on your Johnson engine... Just a suggestion....

ericdraven

Cadet
Thanks for the posts. I have looked through the Suzuki diagrams and can't find anything on electric chokes.

The model # is J10TEL4SN

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Correct, neither website lists anythiing for the electric choke.----Find a dealer that will help.----Or can you visit the local harware store to get a suitable spring ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ericdraven, Jim, DO you presently have any part of the spring remaining? If so, you could search a good hardware store for a similar replacement. If you don't have any spring, then you may need to see one to get a good idea what diameter, length and coil strength it has. Then search for something very similar... JMHO!

ericdraven

Cadet
Here is the spring attached to the plunger and the other half wound around the linkage. No such spring at the hardware store.

Attachments

• 2015-01-28 17.42.32.jpg
    2015-01-28 17.42.32.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral
why not contact one or more of the salvage yards listed in the top secret file and give em the model number, and the info and pic you posted here?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I found this spring on a later model carb. 5036519. Try a BRP Dlr.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up a 2005 9.9 4 ST, mod J10RL4SOA and see if it's the same carb you have.

ericdraven

Cadet
Boobie that part number looks like a coil spring. The one I have is in 2 pieces because it is broken as can be seen in the picture. The spring has a coil wrapped around the black plastic connector then straight to the plunger.

Last edited:

ericdraven

Cadet
nope. my carb has a round donut looking float in it. Also to clear it up a little more. the part I am looking for is not technically a spring it is more like a wire that has a coil on one end to attach to the black connector and the other end has a coil loop for connecting to the steel plunger. it is a very stiff spring steel wire though.

ericdraven

Cadet
This pic of the intake shows the knob that the black piece in my first picture snaps on to. this is the butterfly that my plunger operates.

Attachments

• intake.GIF
    intake.GIF
    14.8 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Eliminate the connector and find a spring with a tail on each end , modify the ends so they make the connection.
I wonder if a piece of good mechanics wire might work.
Maybe a spring that will thread on to the connector Modify the other end to the core.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That is not really a spring. It is simply a connecting wire with a coil at the end threaded onto the plastic connector. The coiled part of the wire allows a bit of adjustment. Measure that coil inside diameter and buy a coil spring from Lowes hardware section. Cut the loop off the new spring. Now stretch that spring out in the middle and cut the entire thing to length. Form whatever type of connection on the plunger end. You are good to go. Cost for the spring (generally two in the package) will be about $2.50. You could even drill a small hole through the plastic connector and use a short coil spring available from the same source. The only thing you are after is that when finished, the choke must be open when the solenoid is released and closed when the solenoid is actuated.

ericdraven

Cadet
this may also help. it is called the choke solenoid spring that attaches to the solenoid plunger.